Berger (.264) 140 Hybrids for hunting?

Brianc74

I built a new 6.5saum with a 4s reamer. It is setup for Berger 140 Hybrids. Velocity will be between 3050fps at 3000 altitude. And 3250 at 8000 altitude. I am looking to shoot everything with them.

What have people discovered, hunting with these bullets?

Brian

I built a new 6.5saum with a 4s reamer. It is setup for Berger 140 Hybrids. Velocity will be between 3050fps at 3000 altitude. And 3250 at 8000 altitude. I am looking to shoot everything with them.

What have people discovered, hunting with these bullets?

Brian
Brianc74,
We do not recommend the 6.5 target hybrid as a hunting bullet. Due to its having a slightly thicker jacket than our hunting bullets it MAY just pencil through the game or create a small wound channel at best.

Brianc74,
We do not recommend the 6.5 target hybrid as a hunting bullet. Due to its having a slightly thicker jacket than our hunting bullets it MAY just pencil through the game or create a small wound channel at best.

Phil,

Sure would love to see you guys bring out some of the Classic Hunters in 6.5

John

I used them for hunting last year because it was all I could get a hold of at the time. I used them in a 6.5x284 at nowhere near that velocity. It wasn't hard to tune them, in my case. Much more forgiving as far as seating depth. I can only speak from the one instance last fall, BUT it was the most violent DRT reaction I have seen. The internals were pulled out through the exit wound which was about the size of a fist

Best of Luck
Erik

Brianc74,

The manufacturer says not to use them, that's good enough for me...

The VLD-H's are deadly, and my experience has been that they are very accurate (and not impossibly sensitive to seating depth).

I have had great success with the (.264) 140gr hybrids in my .260 rem , been using them since they came on the market & so far so good. 4 black bears and 3 Alberta whitetail buck's from 100 yards to 600 yard's all one shot kill's. Same experience with the 215gr hybrid's in my 300 wm from moose,elk ,sheep & British Columbian grizzly. All one shot one kill's minus the grizzly, he went down on the first shot . But at the request of my hunting partner I fed him the second one. In my opinion they are super accurate & deadly....

I had great success with the 215 Hybrids on elk and black bear. Does the 105 6mm and 140 Hybrid 6.5mm work on deer as well?

Not trying to start something here but if your friend shot a Prairie Goat six times with it he is a horrible shot or doing something wrong. Caliber and bullet choice will not help him.

Ha ha....no kidding...something went terribly wrong...

Can't speak for the 6mm, but the Berger 140gr hybrids 6.5's have worked flawlessly in my .260.
I just had a .264 win mag built & plan on using it with 140gr hybrids for a up coming sheep hunt next month. Not sure what happened with the speed goat that took 6 round's, it would be really interesting to see some pic's . I am not saying that it never happened or trying to start anything, just very curious that's all. But I can speak for myself & real world experience that Berger hybrids in 6.5mm are extremely accurate & deadly. But to each is own...... :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.