Berger 170 grain .277?

M70280AI

looking for info on these Bergers for my sons Tikka 270wsm. Who out there has tried them, did they shoot well and what was your twist rate... I did a quick search on here but didn't turn much up...
Thanks

I've been shooting them in a 270 Sherman and 270 Sherman Short mag since they came out with good accuracy but both have 8 twist. Haven't shot any game with them though. Here is a link to the original thread on them http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...eme-heavy-hybrid-170-grain-95746/index21.html

From about page 21 on there is some info on their use. Depending on your elevation they may stabilize in a 1:10 but that would be very high. A 9 will usually work down to pretty low elevation but 8 will be best.

I've seen a few whitetail killed with them with a 1-8.5 twist Rock creek barrel and they shot amazing, I loaded and dialed in a rifle for a customer and it was almost absurd how easy they tuned. Saw a couple shot behind the shoulder and one at just over 400 shot right in the white patch under the chin, they killed very well. Next year there will be much more game shot with them.
I've built two on Tikka's and they are seated out a 3.120 and they are a very nice set up but everything has been on Rock 8.5 barrels.

I've been shooting them in a 270 Sherman and 270 Sherman Short mag since they came out with good accuracy but both have 8 twist. Haven't shot any game with them though. Here is a link to the original thread on them http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...eme-heavy-hybrid-170-grain-95746/index21.html

From about page 21 on there is some info on their use. Depending on your elevation they may stabilize in a 1:10 but that would be very high. A 9 will usually work down to pretty low elevation but 8 will be best.

Lots of good info on that thread... thanks Idaho Trecker

Lots of good info on that thread... thanks Idaho Trecker

No problem. I hope you found some info you were needing. They may not work with your factory twist but there is also the new 145 grain ELD-X. The bc on the ELD isnt all that impressive when compared to most other 150 grain class bullets. Berger has a new 140 grain classic hunter with a good bc. Just looking at the progression of bc on the classic hunter designs in 270 if they made a 150 it probably would be really good.

No problem. I hope you found some info you were needing. They may not work with your factory twist but there is also the new 145 grain ELD-X. The bc on the ELD isnt all that impressive when compared to most other 150 grain class bullets. Berger has a new 140 grain classic hunter with a good bc. Just looking at the progression of bc on the classic hunter designs in 270 if they made a 150 it probably would be really good.[/QUOTE

I've been loading the 140 VLD Hunting in his gun with great accuracy, but haven't been overly impressed with terminal damage... Also have thought about the new 145gr
ELD-x's. I shoot the 175gr eld-x out of my 280 and I'm impressed with them... Both with accuracy and terminal damage...

I just might have to build me a new 270wsm based off the Berger 170's...

No problem. I hope you found some info you were needing. They may not work with your factory twist but there is also the new 145 grain ELD-X. The bc on the ELD isnt all that impressive when compared to most other 150 grain class bullets. Berger has a new 140 grain classic hunter with a good bc. Just looking at the progression of bc on the classic hunter designs in 270 if they made a 150 it probably would be really good.[/QUOTE

I've been loading the 140 VLD Hunting in his gun with great accuracy, but haven't been overly impressed with terminal damage... Also have thought about the new 145gr
ELD-x's. I shoot the 175gr eld-x out of my 280 and I'm impressed with them... Both with accuracy and terminal damage...

I just might have to build me a new 270wsm based off the Berger 170's...

Read about the last 30+ pages of this http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/270-300-win-mag-now-feasible-155307/
thread...

If you want to shoot the 170s...get a long mag box and a longer action...

Why, I've done half a dozen this year now and the Tikka and 270 WSM throated out for the 170 is stunning both for accuracy and killing!

That is great that the Tikka has a long mag box...I had no idea...I cannot even reach the lands with the 170 Bergers...I can with the 165 Matrix...

However...we, in the .277 world, are stuck with the Berger 270 heavies...:)

What kind of speed are you getting with the 270 WSM with the 170 Berger?

Has anyone shot a 1-10 barrel that stabilized the 170 Bergers?

That is great that the Tikka has a long mag box...I had no idea...I cannot even reach the lands with the 170 Bergers...I can with the 165 Matrix...

However...we, in the .277 world, are stuck with the Berger 270 heavies...:)

What kind of speed are you getting with the 270 WSM with the 170 Berger?

The Tikka is a sweat heart to build a WSM or RSAUM on because they are all long actions, the only difference in the short and long are the short mag box has a block plate in it and the bolt stop is longer, change out the magazine for a Magnum mag and mill the bolt stop back and you can seat 3.340 IIRC, longer if you change bottom metal and go with after market mag box.
I run the 170 right in the 3000 fps mark give or take depending on the rifle, let the BC do the work and the terminal performance is about right at this level and makes a sweet shooter. Man I do miss the 165 Matrix though, if I had just a little more money I'd be doing something about it but alas to many irons in the fire so I gotta stay of the Corbin site!!

The Tikka is a sweat heart to build a WSM or RSAUM on because they are all long actions, the only difference in the short and long are the short mag box has a block plate in it and the bolt stop is longer, change out the magazine for a Magnum mag and mill the bolt stop back and you can seat 3.340 IIRC, longer if you change bottom metal and go with after market mag box.
I run the 170 right in the 3000 fps mark give or take depending on the rifle, let the BC do the work and the terminal performance is about right at this level and makes a sweet shooter. Man I do miss the 165 Matrix though, if I had just a little more money I'd be doing something about it but alas to many irons in the fire so I gotta stay of the Corbin site!!

The 170 Berger...so far they got it right, after I hit my "node"...the published G7 has been right on from 1000 ft ASL @ 945 yards to almost 6000 feet ASL at almost 800 yards...

Shooting from a 1-9 twist...

Best part...if I ever get drawn for an Elk tag...I still have over 10 boxes of the Matrix 165s...Sectional Density for the big guys...

The 170gr EOL settles in at 3000fps in my 270 WSM 27" 1:8 PAC-NOR (26.5 actual pressure). No game shot with this bullet yet but have been testing out to 2000 yards with spot-on consistency on a calm morning. Using the advertised .339 G7 BC I have to add 2.2 mil above calculated adjustment at 2000 (zero at 300 yards requiring 22.2 mil U) but using the advertizezed BC out to 1200 yards is close. We shoot at 18"x18" hanging metal plates at 1200 and 2000 yards. This is becoming my go-to long range setup

Sorry Rhian, but they're made with Niemi carbide dies so probably the only ones in existence.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.