Bergara b14 rifles after almost 10 years from the release, reliability/accuracy/durability/features!

simone

Hello everyone, here i am again, last step before starting actually buying a lot of stuff in the process of building my next hunting rig. So, as far as the rifle goes, even if i am open to change my mind, i am leaning toward a B14 hunter in .308 (i would put it in a PSE composites e-lite stock) for my new build for many reasons (and price is not one of them) but it seems like recently, in forums, the bergara is considered a good budget rifle but the QC is not very good and, for example, Tikkas are a "much better" choice, "you can't beat a tikka", etc. At the same time, the majority of criticism towards bergara seem to come from who doesn't own one and several posters on various forums, owning both a tikka and a Bergara, stated that they prefer the Bergara. So what's the deal? For my hunting rifles i have always preferred a "cheaper" mass produced rifle because i think that these are very good tools, looking at function over cosmetics and being much more tested than less sold rifles, even much more expensive ones. For example, as my main knife i much prefer a cheap mora of sweden knife than a 400 euros luxury knife from a small brand simply because one is just a tool and it's made to work, the other one goes beyond that and maybe the functionality has not been set as number one priority. The following points summarize how i think the bergara is in the main fields of what i consider important for a hunting rifle (reliability, accuracy, durability/overall quality, features):

-very good reliability with reliable feeding and ejection. Actually b14 actions seem among the most reliable in factory rifles on the market from what i read and experienced. While for example i have heard of many feeding issues with rifles from many brands, i have never heard any problem with B14 actions cycling.

-very good accuracy. I have seen some reports of b14s being pretty picky with ammo but even more reports saying the contrary. My B14 is pretty picky with ammo, but for me a 1.5 MOA group is a bad group so everything depends on the standards of the owner when calling a group "bad". My b14 hunter, despite the 1:12 twist, seems to hate 150 gr ammo and shoots very well (0.3-0.6 MOA) RWS DK 165 gr and Geco teilmantel 170 gr.

-Good construction quality. It's not a premium level quality, of course, but to me the Bergara seems to be a rifle built good enough to be considered good to go for any practical application and, since i consider hunting rifles "tools", i don't care much about refined cosmetic, finitures, etc. In other words, i don't think the bergara b14 lacks build quality if you look at the functional side. I can feel it while holding a b14 and, for example, an xpr or a remington and also a cz 550: the bergara feels much more refined and solid and trigger, action and safety work very well. However, there have been some issues with the pot metal bolt shroud breaking or getting out of alignement in early 2018 models (like mine) but mostly with rifles shooting small primer 6.5 creedmore ammo (i have never heard of problems on a 308 rifle) and primers cratering (which, as i understood, is pretty common and it becomes an issue only in certain circumstances). These issues were not followed by a recall and seem to be pretty rare but bergara offers free MIM bolt shrouds to anyone owning a model produced before 2019.

-lot of features: for example, compared to a 1700 euros tikka t3x lite (yeah, in Italy a tikka t3x lite costs twice a b14 hunter), for example, a standard b14 comes with: factory cerakote treatment, no plastic parts (aside from the magazine), muzzle thread, better stock and recoil pad with more aftermarket support, better customer service. Bergaras and tikkas seem to have comparable accuracy (maybe a bit better with bergaras), trigger (maybe better on tikkas with the cheap trigger spring upgrade) and action (it is said the action is better on the Tikka but i tried both and i didn't feel that much difference, both actions are very smooth).

What do you think about all this? I know this post is the definition of overthinking but we are here to discuss afterall, a passion is a passion because we invest in it definitely too much time and energies than we need! Also hunting season is closed here at the moment, otherwise i would be in my hills, stalking roes and boars ahah

p.s.: it would be great if, when replying, you could specify if you have any direct experience or not!

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor BERGARA HMR pro, it's a great gun for the money. It shoots 1/2 MOA with factory 147 ELD-M and I have taken it to 800 yards with reliable hits. The only thing I don't like is the Trigger tech trigger it comes with,it is a tad too heavy for my taste, even with adjusting it down all the way.
I have had Bergara Hunter rifles in 6.5 PRC, 7Mm-08, and 6.5 CM. They have all
been great hunting guns, sub MOA. All factory rifles at that price range have some degree of issues, I'm sure there's a lemon of everything somewhere, but I would not hesitate to buy another Bergara.

Last edited:
I also have HMR in 7RM. It's been a very accurate rifle with zero issues other than weight. It's too heavy to tote all day for me. I have not run into anyone with first hand bad experiences. There are a ton of Tikka fans. They definitely have more after market support.

I had a B14 Wilderness Ridge in 7RM. Too long of a shot string or something with factory ammo and the action locked up like a bank vault. Saw a video where someone was using an early CA in 300WM and it was doing the exact same thing. I was having to slap the bolt handle up to get it unlock every time, and believe me it did not want to come. Not sure if this is a problem with R700 pattern actions, rough chambers, some kind of heat expansion, belted magnums, or what but that was the last factory action I ever bought. I have shot much longer shot strings with an M70 and my custom rifles and never had the same issue. I was always and advocate for Bergara, until I owned one.

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor BERGARA HMR pro, it's a great gun for the money. It shoots 1/2 MOA with factory 147 ELD-M and I have taken it to 800 yards with reliable hits. The only thing I don't like is the Trigger tech trigger it comes with,it is a tad too heavy for my taste, even with adjusting it down all the way.
I have had Bergara Hunter rifles in 6.5 PRC, 7Mm-08, and 6.5 CM. They have all
been great hunting guns, sub MOA. All factory rifles at that price range have some degree of issues, I'm sure there's a lemon of everything somewhere, but I would not hesitate to buy another Bergara.
Thanks for the reply, very informative indeed!

I have 6 Tikkas and 2 1/2 Bergaras can't go wrong with either one, with the price difference get a Bergara and don't look back either way they are all shooters.
Two and a half? So one is a barreled action you built off?

I also have HMR in 7RM. It's been a very accurate rifle with zero issues other than weight. It's too heavy to tote all day for me. I have not run into anyone with first hand bad experiences. There are a ton of Tikka fans. They definitely have more after market support.
Yeah the hmr is too heavy for many hunting application but many says it's very accurate! Thanks for the reply

Not a problem limited to r700 actions, I have heard about this also with mighty tikkas and other rifle brands. Did ypunfind put what was the cause?
I had a B14 Wilderness Ridge in 7RM. Too long of a shot string or something with factory ammo and the action locked up like a bank vault. Saw a video where someone was using an early CA in 300WM and it was doing the exact same thing. I was having to slap the bolt handle up to get it unlock every time, and believe me it did not want to come. Not sure if this is a problem with R700 pattern actions, rough chambers, some kind of heat expansion, belted magnums, or what but that was the last factory action I ever bought. I have shot much longer shot strings with an M70 and my custom rifles and never had the same issue. I was always and advocate for Bergara, until I owned one.

Bergara(?). HMR-PRO in 300 WM. When breaking in(?) barrel and having Under 100 rds down range. Pictures are from a "Small bore 50 yd target Reduced for shooting @50', SHOT AT 100 YARDS! This rifle will shoot Min of Kill all day long, not
putting a "red spot on my shoulder (Good Break). Best 300 WM I've ever had, and as Good or better than any of them! Good trigger, nice finish for a Hunting Rifle!

Attachments

• IMG_1479.jpeg
    IMG_1479.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1478.jpeg
    IMG_1478.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1475.jpeg
    IMG_1475.jpeg
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1465.jpeg
    IMG_1465.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 97
Bergara(?). HMR-PRO in 300 WM. When breaking in(?) barrel and having Under 100 rds down range. Pictures are from a "Small bore 50 yd target Reduced for shooting @50', SHOT AT 100 YARDS! This rifle will shoot Min of Kill all day long, not
putting a "red spot on my shoulder (Good Break). Best 300 WM I've ever had, and as Good or better than any of them! Good trigger, nice finish for a Hunting Rifle!
Scary accurate! How is the cycling? 100% reliable?

I have a wilderness ridge in 300 wm.

Just starting the process with it.

Load development, trigger, new stock. I will update as I go. I don't see great accuracy yet, but have only been able to try on load at this time.

The action seems smooth. I will go to a more ridged stock.

Had the same issue with my 300 wm terrain. I found it was a Really rough chamber when I called bergara they confirmed. Fixed it myself but they offered to fix it about an 8 wk turn around.