Ben's First 'Cat...then another...and another...and.... PA

tt35

My son, Ben, (AKA Verminator2) has called in bobcat for several people over the years but had never connected on one himself--at least before Friday. We were actually hunting a ranch that had asked us to do some coyote control.

Here's the country.

Bobcats003.jpg

It's great looking 'cat country but we've only called coyotes here in the past.

Ben's stand.
Bobcats019-1.jpg

About seven minutes into the stand I hear Ben shoot. I haven't seen anything but I hope he got his coyote. Four minutes later I hear another shot. Sweet, maybe its a double. I finally can't stand it anymore and I call the stand to see what we've got. Ben comes down the hill beaming. "Double", he says. "Dogs or 'Cats?", I reply. "Cats!"

Well killing 'cats is only half the challenge. Here's the retrieval.
Bobcats024-1.jpg

Bobcats028-1.jpg

Here's the hero shot.
Bobcats043.jpg

The next stand has three coyotes coming from different directions at eight minutes. Dad misses his coyote at WAY too close. I think Ben immediately misses him again. We both spend some ammo at the retreating coyotes. Turns out Ben couldn't see the first one and was shooting another at around 250 with his first shot.

Ben's on a roll.
Bobcats047.jpg

Part 2 is coming. :)
Tim
No Off Season

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."

Last edited:
Part 2.

We dropped one of the cats off at Ben's cousin's place to skin for tanning and headed to another stand. Maybe 20 minutes in, I gave up on a coyote coming and started glassing the rim. A few minutes later I spot another 'cat! It was peaking over a rock from the middle of the rim at 230 yards. I talk Ben onto him (This seemed more like rockchuck hunting than predator hunting!) and Ben says, "I think there's two of them!". Sure enough, we watch as the first bobcat starts to mess with a second 'cat.

To make a long story short, they wouldn't commit to the call. We were going to try to do a simultaneous shot on them but it was just too far to be messing with something like that. I finally told Ben I was going to take the next good shot. I switched sounds (again) and the female came out far enough to present a shot and the 35 gr Berger put it down. Seconds later the male came out to see what happened. Bad mistake! V2 let go with his .17 Fireball. The 'cat ran a few feet to the right packing a front leg. V2 and I shot almost simultaneously and the 'cat did the Cowboy Fall off the rim. A Double Double...on 'cats!

(See previous note on 'cat retrieval!) My 'cat.
Bobcats048.jpg

Part 3 coming.

Last edited:
Part 3.

Ben with 'cat number three for him for the day.
Bobcats051.jpg

Packin' out.
Bobcats063.jpg

The days "work".
Bobcats071.jpg

Two days of fur.
Bobcats065.jpg

We made one more stand and had a big coyote that wouldn't commit. I think it was over its territorial boundary. I ended up taking a rather quick 300 yard shot on him but we didn't find him. Dad missed again, I guess...

Five stands, four coyotes called, one killed. Four 'cats called. Four in the truck.

I know this ain't much for you Texas boys but this was just plain nuts for Oregon.

"Exceedingly, abundantly more than you can imagine...."

Hope you enjoyed the pics.

Here's one last one of my bumper sticker...just 'cause.
Bobcats046.jpg

Tim
No Off Season
no-off-season.com
"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.