Belt or No belt

I'd not recommend a 6.5 PRC for 4-500y on ELK(we have over #1000 elk here), I have a 26 Nosler, and 6.5-284(virtually the same as a 6.5 PRC). I've used a 270 WSM on a few ELK, it worked fine. The 7RM(I have 2) is similar in performance but has the advantage with bullets above 160g(my 270wsm ELK load is 165g Matrix at 2915fps). 300WM has a little more performance and heavier bullets- more than enough for 500 yards by a ways, kicks more and rifle usually weights more. I usually carry my 270WSM and sit with my 300RUM. If I were to pick a new caliber and rifle the 7mm PRC is interesting.

I'm in the no belt club. I had a 300wm that was a hammer and I kick myself for selling it. Fast forward a few years and I built a 30Nos to replace it which also weighs half what the WM did but it was a target gun.

I couldn't wrap my head around the belted cases after owning a few of them when I prefer to full length resize and only handload.

In short I am very happy with my non belted magnum and can't see a reason I would be going back to a belted case other than inheriting one I know is headed my way one day.

As far as the elk hunt, take what you have confidence in or get you a new one and use the hunt as an excuse to justify the purchase. Cartridge is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. People have been killing elk for decades with "smaller than they should calibers". IMO anything 6.5"magnum" and bigger is doable but just know your skill level and limits of the cartridge you are hunting with.

On the other hand, go big or go home 😂

Lots of cartridges will work with an appropriate bullet and good shot placement, but what's best? It's kind of subjective but when I was talking to various elk hunting outfitters their response was almost always something like "use a 300 mag in one flavor or another".

I went with a 30 Nosler and was pleased with the results at just over 300yds. The 181 Hammer bullet made the package complete. Bang - flop.

If you want modern, power and finesse substantially higher than a (hype) PRC, get yourself a real man's cartridge and go with a 300RUM. You will never be disappointed.
I am a thru and thru 300WM guy, BUT, when I got my RUM, I just couldn't believe how good it was out of the box, accuracy for such a large powder column is ridiculous. Forget the PRC, it does NOTHING the 300WM has been doing since 1963…

Cheers.
👍 this man speaks truth.
When all these new cartridges came out I started researching ballistics, they are so close to many of the tried and true old school stuff I just can't see jumping on board.

For me it came down to available brass between the 7mm RM and 7 PRC. the 7 RM brass was easier to get. Plus I wanted to get a Remarms 700 ADL to put into a KRG Bravo. The 7 PRC isn't available yet in the ADL. When I need a new barrel and if the 7 PRC is still around I might swap to it, IF it proves to be a good cartridge.

Though you didn't say where, eleven pounds is a lot to haul around if you're in the mountains of Colorado. If you think it's manageable, I'd say stick with your 375 H&H. Where I hunt is thick brush and steep, and I will seldom have a shot beyond 300 yards. 9 pounds and 26" barrel becomes cumbersome after a day of stalking.
I used to say I disliked belted cartridges because of reloading. I was also a stubborn fool and insisted on full resizing.
For a while now I've just shoulder bumped. I also used to carry my 9 lb 338 WinMag around happily until 2014, when I repeatedly snagged on brush and thought, "I need a shorter barrel."
Over the years, what I've found most comfortable are a 20" 7/08 or a 22" 6.5 Swede at 8lbs each.
I found it's so much easier to carry lighter rifle with a shorter barrel.
With either one, I'm comfortable if I need to take a shot up to 500 yards, having practiced at 600.

👍 this man speaks truth.
When all these new cartridges came out I started researching ballistics, they are so close to many of the tried and true old school stuff I just can't see jumping on board.
We tend to think of things from a reloaders perspective. Hornady is going after the factory rifle factory ammo crowd. The 7prc has an 8 twist versus 9 9.5 for 7 mag. In 300 prc its 8.5. versus 10. They are made to shoot heavy high bc bullets. Of course you can build whatever you want but if you buy a factory rifle it will have the saami twist rate. Plus the rounds have shorter body longer necks. Look at sectioned cases and some of the long bullets are into the powder space pretty good. The newer case designs eliminate this.

Spo
Ok, gonna say it. "New fangled" non CM fast twist .270Win in a 3.67 COAL magazine action will certainly get it done now with higher BC heavier bullets. The long "hideous" neck once heavily criticized is now major asset to seat the longer bullets out to max out case capacity. There, I said it!
Spoken like a true 270 fan lol! Well done

My choice would be a 7mm or larger caliber rifle with a 1800 fps impact velocity at my max intended range. Shooting a 165 grain bullet or larger. But the most important thing is the gun is fun to shoot and easy to load for. Nothing replaces shooting the rifle a lot.

So I'm a avid reloader and hunter who is looking at a Elk hunt next year in the fall.I've killed pretty everything the Southern States has to offer except a Alligator which I have no desire to pursue.My Question is how much of a magnum caliber is needed to effectively and efficiently kill a Bull Elk at 400 meters and back to me.I'm confident in my abilities to be accurate at 400 but wouldn't risk a 500 meter shot just because I "think" I can.The guys I been talking with all say one of 2 calibers always starts the discussion of a
7mm Rem mag or 300 win mag which I have neither but I do have a
Well made and plenty accurate Interams imported 375 H&H Magnum in a Mauser action.So I can use some lighter bullets to make a longer shot but the gun and 10 rounds weigh almost 11 pounds with scope and I'm not sure I would or could carry that all day strapped across my back.So what would y'all recommend in my situation
6.5x284 norma !