Bell and Carlson Alaskan stock

skandlus

I tried to drop my rem 700, 300 rum into a new Bell and Carlson Alaskan stock and am somewhat dissappointed. The website it got it from, Stockys, states, "as close to the proverbial drop-in fit as it gets!"... so I get it today, try it on and the bolts are already bottomed out without turning a thread. I read the instructions and notice a line that says if the bolts dont fit, just order them... if thats the norm, send the dang bolts with the stock! after a few cuss words I do get them to bite but my floor-plate looks bowed out at the bottom... also the barrel isnt floated at all. Is this normal or am I just too green at "gunsmithing"?

I think the Alaskan Ti has a mountain rifle profile barrel channel inlet. Either way, it sounds like the channel needs to be opened up a little to fit your barrel, and the action properly fitted/bedded to the stock. It's a little extra work, but when done correctly, the finished product is always better than a drop-in fit.

TC

Getting the bolts to "bite" is going to pull that half thread out the first time you pull
the trigger. Order the right bolts or head to a good hardware store. They are nothing
special in material. It's getting the head taper or flat to match the stock or bottom
metal.

I just recieved a B&C Alaskan TI. I dropped a stock Re. 700 270 Win. in it I thought the same thing. The inlet for the recoil lug was just a touch forward. If I "pulled or pressed" the action 1/16" towards the rear of the inletting the bolts threaded right in.

first two shot's cut the same hole, and third shot opened the group to 3/4"

Just a little work and a home bedding job and it will be fine.

Check the holes to see if its lined up proper.

Good Luck

Mark

Im glad you are happy! I was looking for and expecting a drop-in, i dont have the time or all the stuff to bed, etc... And money wasnt an issue. I purchased an HS last night, paid for the overnight shipping and got it today. My rifle went right to place, no mods, no extra phone calls for expected short screws that take a week to get, no binding and its floated. Now I am happy

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.