beginning of a project

Olio Tutto

i'd like to build a wildcat ... if this is the rite place to post, i have a 700 remington receiver 243/308 boltface an would like to build something in the area of 25/308 AI for target an varmit even 'maybe' deer... where to start ? maybe with a barrel maker or a gun smith..? i have never done this before an could use lots of advice.. as for my first thoughts i'd like it to be a heavy barrel of a sort, maybe a fast twist like 1-8 or 9, to carry a heavy bullet like 117-120gr. or more... with the 308 case being blown out to Ackleyor like shoulder, it will probably get a shorter neck in the process of reforming, so the throught should not be to long.. is what i have thought about so far .. but where/how to start the project

also searching around i've found a place to get dies for a 25souper.. wondering if its possible to have these dies cut to match the said AI chamber,... i guess you'd have to fire forming the cases before hand?
i guess i would have to cut both fl an the neck sizer ?

so much to think about.. maybe some of you have gone threw the process
any recomendations on smittys, barrels or whatever.. any input would be a help
Thanks...

The 25-308 and the 25-308 improved woulkd both be great rounds and should get pretty good barrel life out of it.

I'm pearsonaly building a 250 Ackley Improved for my son , with bullets in the 85-100 gr class will get very close to 25-06 factory velocioties. Take a look at this little round after the case is formed it gives some very impressive speeds with a very mild load.

What is it that your wanting this gun to do? , shoot paper at long range , deer or varmints?

I just finished a 260 Rem that is showing alot of promise for deer out to 800yds and varmints to 1500yds according to the ballistic sheets

J J ,.. i guess for now a little of everything i really don't do much deer hunting anymore but would like to try a pronghorn some day.. i do more paper shooting now adays .. i had a Pdog hunt planned last that fell through so.. with that said i have 4- 700 rems now an would hope that the Humdinger so to speak will take the place of two them... is that your site J J ... or business ?

Kiwi i rather for now anyway stick with the 243 case but i haven't made a final plan... still want to see some loading data etc. an to boot my buddy is after me to do a 6mm br but it doesn't tickle me

Festus.. thanks never saw that site or knew of that cal.

well need more info but i like that 25-243-40* or what ever its called
thanks O T

The web site in my signature box is for a member here that has does my smithing work when I don't have access to the machines. His name here is "308nate" and he does some awsome work.

If punching paper at long range is your quest then I'd vote for the 260 Rem or the improved version , it'll give you better barrel life , a huge selection of great target bullets for long range work and a few good varmint bullets. I'm not a big fan of the .257 bore cause of th limited selection of bullets for good LR work , but some guys love it and have good results with it I just feel their are better choices out their.
I went with the regular tight chambered 260 over the Ackley improved version so I don't have to worry about any fire forming issues of loss of barrel life. I use 243 Lapua brass and neck it up in one step with a tapered expander then load and fire no problem. I'm getting 2800fps range with 140gr class match bullets.

i think the advantage of the AI on humdinger is what makes so interesting.. one small artical i read said it beats a 25-06 out of the box an has a very recoil.. not tat i'm effected by it at all ..

the other 700 rems i'm shooting 223pss, 22-250vls, 243vls an the 308P.. all hb 26",, like isaid earlier it mite possible to replace 250 an the 243 with the intended project..?

what about this .257 durham jet i just saw on the chart of wildcats.. Is this the same as a 25.308.40*

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.