Beginners luck 1

yotehunter73

My son turned 12 this year and is legal to hunt big game in Wyoming. He is a small guy so I borrowed a Weatherby 243 youth model from a friend. He told me he got it in a trade and wasn't sure how it shot. My first thought was, "Great, I borrowed a canoe paddle!" After shooting it at 100 and 300, I realized this rifle was a tack driver! I turned my son loose with it at my friend's ranch; he shot at 200 and 300 ringing a 12 inch gong every time. Much to our surprise there were no White tail does around and that's all we had tags for. Not wanting his hunt to be a total bust, we hit the Dog town!. After a few nice shots at 200 he was sure he could stretch it out there. I was on the spotting scope as he said, "See that one out there by the fence?" I said," Yes, he's at 390 yards." He said "I got him." I giggled to myself and settled into my spotting scope. The first shot was low and left. I gave him the the correction and he fired again. It was still a little low and left. I gave him another verbal correction and he added a little more Kentucky windage. He squeezed the trigger and the gun shouted!....The dog tipped over and rolled down the hill. As the spotter, I yelled "Hit!", even though I couldn't believe it! My only hope is that he carries on his shooting prowess...... the kid is not just another pretty face! He's good at this stuff!! Nice shot Buddy!

Attachments

• EJ 390.jpg
    EJ 390.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 150
HA! That's quite the accomplishment and trophy for a 12yo.gun)

I gotta warn you though it could get very expensive from here on out. My addiction started with pairie dog hunting about 40 years ago!

Very cool. My son is only 3 but all he talks about is going and shooting bear and deer with me. I can't wait to get him out. Congratulations to your son and you

Thanks Shane. I know hes looking forward to it.

Thanks Pyro the best part of hunting and shooting is being able to share it your kids.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.