bedding a cooey .22. thoughts

foreign

so i have a cooey .22 that free recoil stacks round on top of each other. shot with any type of hold it opens up to 1.5inch at 50m
im going to bead it but was wanting some opinions. remembering that the one (1) action screww is about 2inchs up the barrel.
so;

bed just the barrel, free float the action.
bed the action and maybe an inch past the action screw
make an action sleve of sorts so i can have a rear action screw.
cut it all up and buy a cz445 (dreaming:D)

cheers

Bedding isn't necessarily the problem or solution. But, it shouldn't hurt if done right.

I would go with option #2.

-- richard

If your Cooey shoots that well ("stacking" typically means center-to-center hole spacing between the widest ones' no more than bullet diameter) in free recoil, that's truly amazing. But don't feel bad about not shooting that well when it's held against your shoulder; all firearms shoot more accurate when fired in totally free recoil unhindered by us humans who don't hold firearms exactly the same way for each shot.

I'd epoxy bed just the barrel with a 2 to 3 inch pad centered on the stock screw in its fore end. Then clear away the stock material around the action as well as the rest of the barrel. This would be about the same as some competition rifles are built with their barrel clamped a ways back from mid point in an aluminum block epoxy bedded in the fore end. It sort of replicates how benchrest rail guns and test barrels are often mounted in a free recoiling base. I'd suggest about 20 to 30 inch pounds of torque on that stock screw as a starter; .22 rimfire match rifles whose receivers are epoxy bedded in wood stocks typically shoot best when their stock screws are torqued in that range.

hey bart b
my brother said was shooting at 50m with the viper 6.5-24 that i just put on and he said that he was putting bullets on top of each other. we will see when i shoot it. think i will try what your suggesting and bed back to the the start of the action and an inch or 2 forward of the barrel screw.
cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.