Beanland vs McWhorter Rifles

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by 257wby257, Apr 28, 2014.

1. 257wby257

257wby257 Member

I'm about to have two rifles built and have it narrowed down between these two builders. I'm fairly new to the world of high-end custom rifles and wanted to see if there were some folks with a little more wisdom on this sight that might have any feedback on one versus the other. Beanland Rifles are 15-20% less pricey....so that will have a little to do with the decision as well.

2. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

Don't know about Beanfield, but I have been to Mcwhorters shop and shot one of their rifles.

They make a very fine product and the rifles do shoot, but I think you can get the same are better for cheaper from other fine smiths.

You can usually find several of their rifles for sale on Gunbroker.

3. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

After talking with the guy from McWhorter on the phone, yall know how I feel about them...

Never will they get a penny of my money.

4. jcann

jcann Active Member

You won't regret a Jon Beanland build. He's down here in my neck of the woods in Gould Okla. and he builds one hell of a rifle. Check out snipers hide if you want references. I've yet to hear of one dissatisfied customer.

5. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Me thinks this is a naive question. Most probably any rifle from either of these sources will out shoot the shooter and mechanically function beyond the requirements of any situation that will be encountered by a typical user.

Personalities and temperaments notwithstanding I doubt there would be dissatisfaction with final result regardless of the choice.

6. 257wby257

257wby257 Member

I don't doubt that the equipment will far outshoot the shooter......just looking for any personal knowledge anyone on here might have with either of these builders.

7. marioq

marioq Well-Known Member

I love my mcwhorter!!!!
    It's sweet. Just not enough time to shoot it!!!

8. 257wby257

257wby257 Member

What caliber did you get them to build you? How were they to deal with??

9. marioq

marioq Well-Known Member

338 lapua

They are fine for me. I bought a gun off the rack and didn't want any changes. They have been responsive with questions

10. Lrdchaos

Lrdchaos Well-Known Member

Just ordered a beanland rifle, it should be completed within a few months. I did a ton of research and couldn't find one dissatified customer with Jon. Plus a couple of top shooters shot his rifles as well. That says something to me. One big plus was Jon returned calls and emails promptly.

11. RMulhern

RMulhern Well-Known Member

My family has several Jon Beanland rifles and Jon's work is way ahead of whomever is in second place! I'll put his builds up against any and all comers!!

12. tcob68

tcob68 Well-Known Member

My vote goes to Beanland! I have 2 rifles built by Jon and am planning a 3rd. Both of my rifles are absolute tack drivers, the workmanship on both are second to none and Jon is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. To me it's a no-brainer, have Jon build what you want and put the money saved towards the best optics you can afford. If Jon builds it, IT WILL BE ACCURATE, PERIOD!

13. marioq

marioq Well-Known Member

There are no prices on the site. What's his gun go for??

14. Lrdchaos

Lrdchaos Well-Known Member

Depends on what parts you want. He doesn't build spec guns as far as I know. They are built for the customer. I will say he was considerably cheaper than 95% of all the other builders I talked to.