Beams or Digital?

"Tell me, what beam scale can do that?"

Ya got me! :rolleyes: I do have to set two sliding poises instead of punching some buttons to get my target weight "programed!"

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to turn anyone against their beloved trinkets. Just giving my perspective and the reasons for it.

Enjoy your digitals while they last, :D the Chinese makers thank you!

From one of those "Old Dogs", I use a digital for sorting brass and bullets, but all of my powder charges are throne short and then trickled up on a beam scale (10-10). When you are loading for 1,000 yd competition even a .2 grain variance can cost you. And I feel every animal I shoot at deserves at least as much attention to detail as I give to a paper target!
Dave

I am not an "Old Dog" but this is what I do. I reload in my garage and had an instance that changed my mind away from weighing powder on my digital scale.

One winter probably two years ago now I came into the garage and turned the heater on and started weighing out powder. I was doing 50X 338 Lapua loads. I calibrated the scale and got everything ready and did about 40 rounds. As I was going along I noticed it seamed I was having to trickle more and more powder into the pan to get to my weight. So I when back and weighted the first load I did and it was about 1 gr lower than the last load I did. I weighed every 5th load and I had a drift going on.

What I figured out was that as the garage heated up the RCBS digital scale drifted and I had to keep putting more powder in to get to my specified weight.

I have since done test and do not see the same issues with the beam scale. Now I only use the digital for weight sorting and use the beam for powder.

SES50

SES50,
That is very understandable. Digital scales need to be kept in a controlled enviorment at all times or they will act up. Under your circumstance, I would always use a beam no question. I on the other hand am able to do all my reloading in my home where the temperture and humidity is controlled. Some powders are just as sensitive unless they are non-hydroscopic and even still, I would not take a chance at exposing them. Wise decision my friend!

I am a scale technician by trade, I calibrate and repair all makes and models, from small scientific, analytical balances (100g x .0001g) up to rail scales (400,000lbs x 50lbs). I owned a Denver Instruments DI-100 that measured out to .001 gns and used it for reloading. It did not same me any time, but it was precise!. I used to use a knife and split granules in half to get the reading as close to the desired weight as possible. Ever try that? That my friends is "splitting" hairs :)
I've used balance beams and don't care for them. I have the ChargeMaster and like it tremendously. I don't have to set it at eye level to make sure two lines line up each time. Give me a break, this is the 21st century. Embrace technology and move on.
My reloads are just as accurate now using the CM reading at .1gn as they were when I used the DI-100 reading at .001gn. Most people and their rifles can not shoot the difference! JohnnyK.

I used a RCBS 750 scale for 11/12 yrs before it quit then replaced it with 1500 scale. Tell you the truth I'm back using the beam scale and use the 1500 for weight cases,bullets etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.