Digital vs beam!!

col48

I currently have both digital (Lyman dps 1200) and beam scales (RCBS 505) and was wondering what you guys use and what you prefer for the best results and greatest accuracy.

Beam scales have always been the best for accuracy 'cause there's nothing to get out of adjustment with 'em.

Digital scales have always been best for reloading 'cause they're faster. Even if you have to rezero them every once in a while, they're still worth the extra speed they provide. Powder charges don't have to be weighed to sub tenths of a grain.

There's more difference in the chemistry between two 60.35-grain powder charges thrown with either measure than can be detected in muzzle velocity or anything else. Primers typically cause a greater muzzle velocity spread than one-tenth grain of powder in a 60-grains charge does.

I have both types of scale.

Used the less expensive Ohaus for decades. No problems at all.

Have several hundred rounds using the RCBS ChargeMaster. Sweet!

Have checked it against the upper end balance beam have 100% agreement.

Electonic is much faster and I believe just as accurate, though I still check the calibration from time to time.

The electronis is the cat's meow for weighing cases, bullets, etc.

I'm going to try weighing primers. Hey, why not?

my Lyman & rcbs 505 don't match in weight.

witch primers do you use,
do you use bench rest for all or do you use magnum for a magnum gun,
i have a 270 wsm custom neskia
and a 243 AI as above.
thanks for your help
Colin

[ QUOTE ]
What scales do you use?
What chronograph do you use?

[/ QUOTE ]
40-year old $10 Redding beam scale. Lyman small-sized digital one.

Don't have a chronograph.

[ QUOTE ]
my Lyman & rcbs 505 don't match in weight.

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="blue"> The Ohaus weights 0.2 gr higher than the RCBS Chargemaster, but it is a consistent 0.2grs. Doesn't vary. </font>

witch primers do you use,
do you use bench rest for all or do you use magnum for a magnum gun,
<font color="blue">I have found that nonmag primers work best in non mags (243/270/etc. I usually use CCI-200s for them. For Mags I use Federal 215s and just bought a case of the 215 GMs. Don't kiow the difference, but we'll see. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
i have a 270 wsm custom neskia
and a 243 AI as above.
thanks for your help
Colin

col48,
I have had several different scales over the years both digital and balance beam, I knew without a doubt that my RCBS 1010 was the most accurate scale on the market, my powder pro digital was for nothing more than weighing cases and bullet's. ENTER the RCBS Charge Master combo. this is one item (at least for now ) is in a league of its own the Lyman and others dont even compare . to make it simple if you want the best balance beam try and find a 1010 (hard to find now)digital Charge Master Combo.
UB

Depends. If your beam scale has a mirrored section around the zero mark then it's probably more consistent than a digital. I have a Lee balance and Dillon and CED digital scales. The Lee balance doesn't have the mirrored zero and parallax error as measured on the digital scales runs as high as .4 a grain. I've loaded some accurate rounds on the balance scale so it may not be that much of a factor. The CED digital scale works fine for reloading as long as I recalibrate every 10-15 rounds. I probably wouldn't have to calibrate as often if I could keep from bumping the scales.

The RCBS 1010 is a good scale and every reloader should have a good beam scale. Easy to calibrate and you know it is accurate.

As for digitals, you need to read the test results of extensive testing on www.6mmbr.com on this very subject. My DPS 1200 was not worth a flip as far as accuracy goes. My new RCBS chargemaster has retaining zero issues (change pans and get the mod the factory is doing now put in it) and is not reliable.

As far as extreme accuracy goes, you better weigh to a tenth if you want accuracy. The best high power shooters now are using the Promethius system ($1200) to give them digital speed with beam accuracy.

I use a Ohaus navigator that measures to .001 and is 100% accurate. I throw with the RCBS about .2 under and then trickle or dipper the final amount on the navigator.

.2-.3 variances in powder will throw your accuracy off and routinely leads to lot of vertical in LR groups.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.