Batns tsx on Bears at 500

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by porkchop401, Apr 29, 2014.

1. porkchop401

porkchop401 Well-Known Member

Signed up for a Spring black bear hunt on the short notice and what I have loaded for my 300wm is 180 tsx, shots are to be max of 500yds but more likely in the 300yd range . any experience is appreciated
    I would try others but it is to close to work on loads

2. Hunter5325

Hunter5325 Well-Known Member

Sounds like your set up perfectly for bruins. I've killed bears, elk and deer with 168TTSX/TSX's from my 30-06 and 300Wby. I prefer the monolithics for bears as I usually want to break them down (shoulder shots) opposed to lungs. I can assure you they won't bounce off.

What exactly are your concerns?

3. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

When it's this close you run what you brung. It sounds usable,

If you don't mind me asking, which hunt did you sign up for?

4. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

I wouldnt be a bit afraid of using that set up. My dad has killed several bears off of our bait set with the 180's the range was only 175 yards but you will have no problem putting one down. and as previous poster said dont be afraid to break some bones

5. porkchop401

I will be going on the spot and stalk forum bear hunt offered here on the forum with Len .
    And I think hammering the shoulder may be the plan!

6. Hunter5325

Hunter5325 Well-Known Member

If I helps your decision I killed last years bear at over 300yds with my 243 and 80gr TTSXs....two holes...dead bear.

7. porkchop401

I does help, my main concern was the bullet penciling through without expanding.

8. LeftyWilbury

LeftyWilbury Member

Barnes TSX are pretty stout, and being designed for rapid expansion, shouldn't have a problem with penciling through. I'd be wary of a shoulder shot though. Those shoulders bones are strong. Just personal experience of losing my first bear. 30-06 at 50 yards. Rolled the bear completely over...but then he got up and ran a few miles. Learned two things, use premium bullets, and don't shoot the shoulder. A 300 win mag and TSX bullets should be more than up to any shot, but I'd still choose a heart/lung shot if it presented itself.

Here's a sweet anatomy guide, tailored for archery, but it's always fun to study anatomy.

Happy hunting! Looking forward to heading out in the fall for bear myself.

9. porkchop401

Thanks for the advice and experience.

10. porkchop401

Well the 300 /tsx. is validated and ready!
    I guess of is time to get the 260 and some accubonds ready as a back up.

11. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger Well-Known Member

For bear whenever I can I try for the heart/ lungs AND the off side shoulder. If necessary. What ever I hunt bear with has no problem shooting THRU the bear. And X, XLC, TSX, and TTSX all have an awesome record of working on bear.