BAT action question

shadowdrak

I have a chance to buy a Bat action and was wondering if it was worth the asking price of $1000. It is a BAT DS stainless steel with right bolt/left port, no ejector, has less than 2 thousand rounds through it, and is in a 6PPC boltface (but want to modify it to a .308 bolt face). Is it worth this much used? New price is $1300 on manufacture site. Thanks for any help.

If the bolt lugs have been taken care of I would say its worth $1000 pretty easily. I use alot of BAT receivers, I have never had one not turn out a hell of a great shooting rifle.

They have been known to gaul easily in the bolt lug contacts but I have never seen this to be a problem. Keep them clean, keep them lubed and they are no different then anything else.

If you do not have the stock yet, check who inlets for this receiver. Some BATs are not inletted by some stock makers, at least not all of the different BAT models so you may want to check into that.

The BAT is a great action no doubt but for a field gun---not a good choice. I have a couple that are on filed guns and wish I had used a Kodiak or Stiller! With very little dust in the field the tolerances are so tight that it will give you problems. Have seen them give problems on the line as well during windy and dusty conditions here in Texas at one of the clay pigeon shoots.

Thanks for the help guys. I've been looking at this action and now I'm also thinking of the Viper action with the drop port (looking at chambering in 6mmbr). Talked to some local guys here and said my best bet with the BAT action is to buy a new bolt in a .308 bolt face. Thus a new bolt and a bolt for a 6PPC if I decide to go that route.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts