Basics of Bedding, and other stuff...

I got it done, and best part of all is that I didn't glue the action to the stock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here is the rifle all wrapped up:

308wrappedup.JPG

And here is the completed bedding:

308completedbedding.JPG

The pictures don't really show it, but where the sides of the action sit I didn't get the bedding thick enough to make 100% contact. I may touch that up later. Front and back made 100% contact, and the rifle can't move forward or backwards in the stock any more. Now I'll have to go see how it shoots.

Thanks gor the tips everyone.

Alan

[ QUOTE ]
Now I'll have to go see how it shoots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should be the same as before:

1. Load the chamber.
2. Pull the trigger.

Call me if you have any questions.

(sheesh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

I did my VSLH this weekend too. All in all it came out well, I think. I went forward, past the recoil lug about 2", and stopped at the edge of the mag well in the rear.
I didn't glass the sides like you did, gonehuntinagain. Maybe I should have, but if feels so much better now!
I had major play between the action and the stock before.

Hopefully she will shoot in the 2's and 3's now instead of the 3's and 4's.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif..sakofan...

[ QUOTE ]
Should be the same as before:

1. Load the chamber.
2. Pull the trigger.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think next time we go shooting there is going to be an "accident" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sakofan - It does feel much better in the stock, and now I know the front and the rear tang are getting 100% contact.

Since it is a factory rifle, every little bit more accuracy that I can squeeze out of it helps!

[ QUOTE ]
every little bit more accuracy that I can squeeze out of it helps!

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe that's your problem, your grippin' 'er too tight.

BAAHAAHAHAHA!!!

Hey, if you are going to have an accident hold on to your gun in case a deer walks by at the same time you have your butt hanging over a log. Grandpa said so.

BAAAAHH HA HA BAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HEEHEHEHE HOHOHO!!!!!!!

A couple of my own bedding jobs,

The first a Tikka 595 action onto McMillan Sako Varmint stock, recoil lug is permanently in stock, otherwise it requires brazing or glueing to action.

DevconBedding.jpg

Second, custom rem 700LA 6.5x284.

DSC00202.jpg

DSC00203.jpg

Finnished stock

DSC00204.jpg

Preparation is all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bedding techniques

I build custom mausers from time to time. They are all blued steel with nice walnut for stocks. I put 2 or 3 layers of duct tape lengthwise down the barrel, and use a hair dryer to have absolutely no wrinkles. I spray brownells release on the whole mess, and bed the entire action area and barrel channel. This really seals up the barrel channel to prevent anything from being absorbed in there. When you remove the barreled action, everything gets cleaned off, and a wire wheel makes short work of the duct tape adhesive. The steel gets blued, and when you put it back together, the space where the duct tape was leaves a nice even free float. I'm building my first long range rig right now, and an thinking that the duct tape will start 3 or 4 inches down the barrel rather than at the lug, and then I will have a barrel pad to go with it. Thought and comments appreciated.
wk

Okey help me out. I only did 2 in my life time for my self. First one 10 years ago and forgot most of what i did but turned out well. The secnd one 2 years ago a 260 in model 7. The problem i had i had bedding compound come up thru action and in to the chamber threads. What a *************** mess to clean out. I got it though and gun shoots well. What did i do wrong. I removed magazine and didnt use any tape on action just sprayed it but installed action and tightned down bottom plate with the screws.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.