Barrels 2020

We are able to shoot a few thousand barrels a year. Over the years, we've used quite a few of the top barrel manufacturers. Because we use the same reamers an ammo, we are really interested in consistency.

Let me just say that having the ability to measure and inspect before chambering can save you a lot of work!

I will second the fact that they can all make good barrels. But I'm more impressed by the company that knows what a bad barrel is, and can afford to scrap it instead of shipping it to a customer.

I have two Broughton barrels that have shot absolutely fantastic. After the break in (which I followed meticulously) they both shoot better than I can hold. I don't have any place to shoot long range but 338 barrel keeps five shots under .325 and the .224 barrel on my 22-250 is shooting five shots into .262 at one hundred fifty yards. Did I mention that I haven't had to clean either of them for over a hundred rounds? I am going to clean them sometime this winter because of habit more than anything indicating that they aren't shooting correctly.
I can't say anything about customer service simply because I haven't had any cause to use customer service.

We are able to shoot a few thousand barrels a year. Over the years, we've used quite a few of the top barrel manufacturers. Because we use the same reamers an ammo, we are really interested in consistency.

Let me just say that having the ability to measure and inspect before chambering can save you a lot of work!

I will second the fact that they can all make good barrels. But I'm more impressed by the company that knows what a bad barrel is, and can afford to scrap it instead of shipping it to a customer.
Which company are you speaking of?

I am very new to custom barrels so take that into account. I recently bought a Criterion Savage Prefit 6.5cm barrel from Northland. It was super easy to install and shoots very well. It's a 30" 1:8 twist large shank that I installed on my 10 BA Stealth.

So far doing load development I have found a 144 Berger load that is .25moa at initial testing and a 140 eldm load that is .3moa.

I will be testing them at 300 yards to confirm my ocw tests were not a fluke.

The barrel looks great using a teslong bore scope and cleans up really easy with very little copper build up. Cases grow .003 at the neck so the chamber is just about perfect for a no neck turn scenario. The necks barely get any soot.

So far I am really happy with it. It took 1 week to get and only cost $340.

Attachments

• 20200914_133623.jpg
    20200914_133623.jpg
    870 KB · Views: 169
  • 20200914_144846.jpg
    20200914_144846.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 155
Bartlein 6mm Creed Heavy Varmint - best barrel I've shot
McGowen 338 edge #7 Remage - Very happy with accuracy and easy to clean
Bartlein 22lr MTU - very happy with
Criterion 6.5 Creed - Shot okay, but wasn't impressed
MGM 6.5 Creed - Shot okay, but wasn't impressed
Bartlein 7 SAUM 3b - Shot good, easy to clean
CLE 223 - will soon find out
Proof 6.5 PRC Sendero - will soon find out
JP Supermatch 223 - Can shoot great, but very narrow node

Heavy barrels are so much easier to tune, so not always apples to apples. Looking forward to trying Brux next. I'm sure all can produce a great barrel. It's more about the amount of lemons and who's willing to make it right.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about this for awhile and I want to make a thread discussing barrels and their quality as of now. Barrels like all things go up and down and change over the years. I know of a few barrel manufactures who have stepped their game up in the last couple years and seem to be producing better results. I currently am running Bartlein barrels and have no complaints about them. I however am very curious and I always like to experiment and learn more.

Having said that, if any of you could just give me a brief review or opinion on recent barrels you have used/installed/inspected I would really appreciate it. This is not a bashing thread, but I want it to be sort of a guide and understanding of where barrels stand as of 2020. I'll start off and say from my experiences , I see mainly Bartlein, Brux, Krieger, and Proof barrels. Those all seem to do well, but how about all the other guys?
I've shot several brands and presently the barrels that I continuously keep shooting are brux. They have been good to me and they have lasted. Below is a group that we have shot with a brux at 1000 yds. Testing loads.

Attachments

• C7A692E1-EA17-4674-8E82-C81AB98E1677.jpeg
    C7A692E1-EA17-4674-8E82-C81AB98E1677.jpeg
    315 KB · Views: 130

What Barrels do you find to be the most consistent and impressive? Thank you!

Running a shilen, pac nor and x caliber currently

The shilen 5R in 28 nosler shoots .5 MOA and cleans up well. No fire forming there. The X Caliber in 280ai shoots great now. It wasn't lapped well in my view and it took about 200 shots to get it where it is now. Mfg 2 years ago on the x caliber so ideally they have put more effort into their barrel finishing. The pac nor looks like an absolute mess in a bore scope but it shoots and cleans well in 257wby

I have a criterion 7mm mag, it shoots good cleans ok, haven't shot it at distance. I'm still up in the air. I also have two Blackhole weaponary barrels one an ar15, the other bolt action. They both clean good, both shoot very accurate. They both were easy to develop loads for, are very consistent from one trip to the next. I'm going to try a mullerworks next I think.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.