Barrel twist v. bullet weight

blackco

Either way I ask this question it goes in this thread...I'm haveing a gun built right now in 300RUM with a 1-8 twist barrel (not too late to change) for 200-220gr bullets. Well now I'm thinking I might want to use some 180grainers sometimes. No specific bullet choosen yet, considering starting with the SMK's and Accubonds.

My question is...are there 180gr bullets that can handle the fast twist or should I consider a slower twist barrel?

If it's not obvious, I'm new to making these decisions. Thanks for all imputs.

8 twist seems aweful fast for a 300 RUM. I have a 9 that will stabalize the 240's and the 210 berger VLDs. I have no experience with the 8 twist though.

+1.

240 SMKs do just fine out of a 300RUM 10 twist out to 1500yds or so. Search the board and you'll find more info regarding this.

Agreed, 8x is a bit fast for the 180's. If youre dead set on 180's in an 8x barrel, I would shoot the Barnes bullets. They are longer and their all copper construction has a lower "specific gravity" value which means it takes more to stabilize a given bullet weight than a jacketed lead bullet. 8x is still too fast for the 180 Barnes bullets but they could potentialy do better than other 180's. You will have youre best luck with 240's and the heavier WC bullets. A 10x will stabilize a 240 in 300 RUM just fine. I am getting away with a 12x and 200 ACCUBONDS in a Lilja barrel. Not the best twist for the bullet, but they are accurate and are punching perfect holes out to 650 yards. I will be shooting them farther tommarrow to see how far they will stay stable.

The 200's in a 12 twist will stay stabile past 800 yards,at least they have in mine.............I Am not saying that they won't stay stabile farther,but about 860 yards is as far as I have shot them......

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.