Barrel Search

dahunta

Can somebody please throw some sites at me where i can get a barrel for a remington action.douglas,shilen, krieger or anything.just having trouble findin a company that looks down to earth and easy like sharpshootersupply is for savage!

For what your looking for I'd say "Douglas Barrels" in WV. You can send them your barreled action and they will take the old barrel off and put your new Douglas barrel on for under 500.00. Yes, that includes "all" the gunsmithing but the barrel will need to be blued. I think thats a pretty good deal. I have one I want to send in to make a .264 Win Mag out of. :D
Anyway, check them out. This link is for the page I'm telling you about.
Palma

okay i think ive narrowed it down to a 28" douglas in the heavy target.now i need to do some lookin for a bolt with a mag head.any recommendations?

sorry,guess i left out some info.im building off of a 270 so i need a magnum bolt head that will grab the 300wsm.right?was really wanting a custom look so i didnt want to get a factory bolt.but guess i could get a factory bolt and put that knob on it if i cant find anything else.thanks for the quick replies!

I have a .264 win mag that has a 27.5" barrel on it. It shoots great, the first group with cleaning in between each shoot with factory ammo was .873". This is a button barrel and has proven to be a great barrel as my current loads are usually 3 shots touching each other

www.riflebarrels.com

I also building a .338 edge and I am using a bartlein barrel. They just set a bunch of new records in Tacoma a couple of months ago. This paticular rifle has cut rifling.

Bartlein Barrels, Inc. - Main Page

if i was comfortable forming my own brass i would be leaning towards that 338 edge too.very tempting.

You can have your bolt opened to fit the mag case, you can look around for a magnum bolt for sale, or you can call Dave Kiff at PTG and order a new one. I think there is a link in the sponsor section.

You have to have a gunsmith headspace a remington.Savage can be headspaced with the jamnut.Benchmark is a very good barrel and reasonably inexpensive.gun)

okay.thanks for the post but...you dont "have to have" a gunsmith set the headspace on a remington.i agree you have to have alot of tools and equipment to do it.how did gunsmiths become gunsmiths?they surely couldn't work on guns before they were "gunsmiths".i am really surprised at the amount of people on here that dont do their own work.of course gunsmiths want you to think that they are the only ones that can work on stuff.it might take a while to get it right if u arent experienced but it is hard to get experience if you dont start somewhere!

I have been building remingtons for thirty years and I am not a gunsmith.I build twenty to thirty guns a year.I would not want to discourage anyone from trying to do their own work but you do have to be willing to make a major investment to be able to thread and chamber a rifle.Without some major help or be willing to really study it could be a disaster.Good luck with your project.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.