Barrel Questions

pburton

I have wanted to build a rifle for several years now. I have never been in a financial position to feel like I could do so. Until recently I realized that if I had saved the money that I have spent on several different factory rifles, to try them out, I would own one awesome custom rifle. Well we live and we learn. So now with my new philosophy I have decided to build a custom or semi custom, depending on how you look at it.

I have a Remington 700 action from a 7mm Rem Mag CDL. I have a Timney trigger, which I have had great luck with in the past. I have also purchase my new stock, which is an HS precision. My next purchase will be the barrel. I am trying to keep this rifle relatively light for packing in the mountains.

I have looked at several different web sites and read numerous reviews on other sites about different barrel manufacturers. I read good and bad about most. So I am coming to you guys for some help. I am looking at Hart, Krieger, Bartlein, and Shilen. I am looking at a #5 contour. I plan to stay with the 7mm Rem Mag. I am not sure what length to go with and what the best barrel would be to go with. Thanks for any help.

If you want the barrel in time to have this build for upcoming season I would try to look at each of their websites (or call) and see if they have one that fits your needs. My last barrel had a wait time of 11 months. I would want at least 26 inches and no shorter but might be leery of one too long and thin.

I have two hart barrels and love both of them. that being said, bad barrel makers do not last long, all the makers you mentioned should be good? My only problem with hart is the wait time but they are good for there time estimates. It's just the wait that sucks.

Thanks for the replies. Currently my rifle is shooting right at MOA with the factory barrel. Which is not bad for a factory barrel. This will get me through this season. It just does not make me overly-confident past about 600 yards. I have a mule deer buck tag and a cow elk tag for here in Nevada. So I am not to worried about it. But I am 12 points into my bull tag here. Hopefully next year and maybe by that time I will have my new barrel.

The barrel manufacturers that I listed have been narrowed down. I was originally looking at McGowan barrels and pretty set to purchase one. But the reviews have been very mixed. Especially with their customer service. And the more I look the more I see negative reviews on most. The only two that I do not see this on are Hart and Krieger. Probably the most expensive of the bunch. I just want to make the right decision. Thanks again!

I recently bought a 7mm Bartlein from Southern Precision Rifles. Took me a whole 5 days to get it as they usually have a good selection in stock. They stock several other manufactures as well including Brux and Kreiger.

I've recently been working on a friends custom rifle in 300WM with a lightweight 22" barrel and it has surprised the hell out of me. My 7mag has a 24" and it does a fine job. That being said my new custom 7mm Dakota is going to likely have a 28" Sendero weight but I don't plan on packin it much. gun)

SPR website: Southern Precision Rifles

They will treat you right.

All the barrels that you mentioned are good choices. If I had to pick, it would be a Krieger for a couple of reasons. First of all, they are a very good barrel and the company stands behind them without giving you a lot of flack if you did happen to get a bad one. Any maker will have one occasionally. Also, it is usually easier to find a Krieger in stock, either thru their inventory, bugholes, or Brunos shooters supply. A lot of people are into the 5r rifling now, and I have two myself, but the best shooting rifle that I own is a regular old 4 groove Krieger. I would probably choose a 26" to take advantage of the 7 mag case capacity without being TOO long. A #4 contour should shoot well and not be too heavy to pack around. Fluting will cost another $150, but will save another 4 oz. (approx) of weight....rich

Thanks for the info everyone. I decided to go with a Bartlein 3b, Lt Bull Sporter contour. 9" twist and finished length will be 26". Southern Precision Rifles had one in stock so I ordered it.

Hands down, Bartlein R5. My .284 (and my son's matching rifle) shoot one hole from a bipod at 100 yards; and I mean "one hole" - last weeks three shot group measured .300 ......... that's not center to center, that's the size of the hole . gun)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.