Barrel question

WB---Thats very interesting! I'm surprised the way things go nowadays that they just didn't blame it on you for not cleaning it properly often enough and say it was on you for causing the fouling problem. What is the exact reason in your opinion for what happened? It doesn't sound like you're too enamored with what they sent back either!

WB---Thats very interesting! I'm surprised the way things go nowadays that they just didn't blame it on you for not cleaning it properly often enough and say it was on you for causing the fouling problem. What is the exact reason in your opinion for what happened? It doesn't sound like you're too enamored with what they sent back either!

Before I sent it back I fired one shot to see how long it took to remove the copper and it was still almost 2 hours. I cleaned the gun, drove 20 miles to the range and put one shot down the tube. The inside of the barrel looked like a penny. I boxed it up and sent it in.
I believe from reading on the internet, that the barrel was undersized on the muzzle end. I never put gage pins or a bore mic down it though.

The replacement gun will shoot 3 out of 4 in a 1" circle at 200 yards, all 4 in less than 2" but it has taken nearly 200 shots with varying bullets, powders, seating depths, barrel forearm pressure, and a never ending headache.
I bought the Rem so I could build a custom next year. I knew the factory gun wouldn't be top end but after you open the box you kind of forget that and keep trying to polish a turd. If it shoots 2" at 200 I really shouldn't expect much more but all my friends are telling stories if 1/2 MOA factory guns.

good luck in WY.

Like the old dude on Laugh In used to say: "Verrrrrryyyyy Intereesssting!" I'll stick with my pre 64 Model 70, Sakos and Rugers, and even my sporterized 03A3 that I shoot, as I've just never been a fan of Remington products. I guess it's like the deal that some guys like Ford, others Chevy or Dodges, etc. Whatever makes each individual happy is really all that matters!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.