Barrel profile

If I was building a rifle like that, I'd decide on the weight and barrel length I wanted, then after subtracting the action, stock, mounts and scope, I'd work backward with one of the barrel mfg's contour calculators to determine the contour.

I've often thought about the .375 H&H as well. But I thought about a bit different direction. I always figured, since it would be for dangerous game, that I'd get a heavier contour and shorter barrel. I figured a 22" barrel with heavy enough contour to get me to 10-11lbs and a low magnification 2.5x10 Nightforce NXS would be just about perfect. You can get a little better than 2500fps with a 300gr bullet and 22" barrel. It would be nice to carry and handle in tight quarters. It should also be really stiff and be plenty accurate and hit with authority out to 400yds.

AJ

I have a Browning A Bolt stainless stalker 375 H&H with a 26" barrel and factory iron sights. The sights are very nice, and the front sight bead sits high enough to work with a receiver mounted peep sight for about a 32" sight radius. 26" barrel length isn't necessary for the 375 to do its thing if you decide to go shorter on barrel length. One thing to consider might be finding one with the boss system. The front sight is mounted behind the boss at around 21". You could chop off the ugly boss and recrown and have about a 21 or 22" barrel for a mighty fast handling thumper, or get the 26" barreled one and chop it down later if you decide to. That is about the cheapest way to get a rifle that you are describing. And no I won't sell you mine! <grins>

Good thoughts on barrel length. I was not thinking brush gun however. I have a Marlin 1895 in 450 marlin that fits that role nicely. I was thinking more classic african safari with the modern twist of the synthetic stock.

I have got to admit though that the short barrel is a nice when you get in close. I think my intended pourpose for this rifle would be bear/fishing backup rifle. I also was not thinking scope I was thinking XS big dot sights for fast up close work.

AJ hit the nail on the head.

Most dangerous game rifles are short (20 to 22'') and weigh in around 10+ lbs

I would go with a 22''to 24''max #6 or #7 taper.

This will make it easy to handle and heavy enough that it wont kick your brains
out with no muzzel break.

Also use a laminate stock for balance and shock dampening.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.