Barrel life, 6-284 vs. 6.5-06 AI

labrador

Hey guys

I have read on several posts that the 6-284 is a barrel burner but I can not understand why the 6-284 should be harder on barrel than for example the 6.5-06 AI. The reason that I mention these to calibers is that I am in doubt which of these two caliber I should rechamber my rifle to. But as far as I have understood the only thing that is hard for the barrel is the powder that burns when you fire your rounds. And since the 6-284 uses less powder than the 6.5-06 AI I thought that the 6-284 would be less tough for the barrel, but did I miss something?

thanks - Lab

I notice your talking about two different bore sizes. Is this correct?
If so, the 6.5-06 will last longer because it's bore is larger for nearly the same amount and type of powder.

okay that makes sense but the difference between these two caliber's barrel life can not be great, or?

lab

If it's a hunting rifle, if you can hit on a good load quickly, it doesn't really matter.
If you can picture yourself shooting at a range alot, accepting only best accuracy, then stay away from both. Neither has good barrel life in that sense. I would predict 1300 for the 6.5-06, and 900 for a 6-284.
But then if you keep looking, I'm sure you'll come across somebody with thousands of rounds from either one. What you have there is people who's expectations in accuracy are met, and apparently will be forever. Even though peak performance for that barrel has long passed. Many keep shooting 'good enough'.
Let's face it, 1/2moa is good enough to compete anywhere but point blank and rimfire BR. That is, if your a good enough shooter, or things are going your way. If a rifle starts out capable of 1/4moa, and leaves that soon to settle around 1/2moa. The competitive 1/2moa shooter is still setting pretty good, and likely will be for quite awhile until the barrel gets so bad that he concedes burn out. Or.. things aren't going his way now, and like a desperate golfer, he'll get him another putter to get back on track. Ask him about his barrel life, who knows the answer you'll get.

Very wise response. I am not new to shooting, but very new to long range shooting/hunting. I am elated with my last range session at 500m to have shot 2.5" ctc with 4 rounds from my 300 SAUM Sendero. I know that is unacceptable to some people, but I only have 1/3-1/5 the money in my rifle as they do and 1/1000 the experience. If I can hold 1 MOA out to 600 yards I am happy because that will kill deer/hogs anywhere I can see/hunt in East TX. At the same time, without a little luck, I probobly could not kill pd/gh at 500 yds with any regularity and 300 yds may be pushing it. Not my forte.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.