Barrel length for .260rem?

loaders_loft

What length of barrel are you shooting for your .260 rem?

3 of my reloading manuals specify 24" barrel.

I'm envisioning a varmint laminate stock with a 20 or 22" fluted barrel - am I way off base here? Is longer really better for this short action cartridge??

A 24" barrel will get you about all the 260 Rem case has to offer with 4350 and faster powders. You will loose from 100 to 150 fps on average when dropping down to a 22" barrel over a 24". A 24" barrel on a short action is still about the size and weight of a long action with a 22" inch barrel. I would go with the 24" myself.

I have a stock Remington Mtn Rifle (700 LSS) with a 22" barrel and wish it had a 26" barrel on it. With all the H4350 I can cram in it, I'm getting just under 3000fps with the 120gn Ballistic Tip. JohnnyK.

Thanks for the post RT2506 and johnnyk

johnnyk - I think you're 22" barrel is giving good velocity, based on the hodgdon's reloading data which shows 2960fps for a 120gr bullet with 46.5gr H4350. Are you seeing pressure signs at this velocity?

Its among the top performers with no other (hodgdon's) powders exceeding 3000fps.

Likewise, the fastest powder that Alliant shows for a 120gr bullet, is RL19 at 2950fps. RL15 and RL17 are a bit slower.

I don't have my Nosler manual handy - maybe it shows higher velocities than you're getting?

lightbulbHas anyone else got a 24" or longer barrel, and does it really increase the velocity much? Maybe there is more effect with heavier bullets like 140's??

Checked the Nosler manual last night - there were just a couple powders that show slightly above 3000fps, with a 24" barrel.

So, if you're getting almost that with a 22 and not the very fastest powder listed, your barrel doesn't seem to match the concept of 100fps loss for the shorter barrel.

Anyone else have experience with a .260 rem?

I've seen factory guns with as little as a 16 1/2" barrel - can someone who owns a shorty like that, post some results?

I have two Firearms in 260 Rem. One is a DPMS LR-260 with a 24" barrel, the other is an XP-100 with a 15-7/8" barrel The XP 100 will push 123 Grain Lapua Scenar's supersonic to a bit over 1000 yards. The 24" to about 1400 yards. The shorter barrel's main drawback (other than reduced velocity) is that it makes the muzzle blast noticably louder. Neither has a brake.

I'd suggest you make your choice based on what's comfortable for you to carry and shoot. Both of my 260's are built for prone target shooting. I wouldnt recommend either for hunting.

Just built a .260 Remington Improved on a Savage short action (formly a .223). I intend to reload with VLD but have not so far. Did convert to single shot only for other reasons though.

I think it all depends on what you envision doing with your .260. By building it with a laminate varmit stock (heavy), are you looking for more stationary hunting? If so, then go with a longer barrel. If you're looking for a light, more mobile gun, then go with a 20" to 22" barrel. Remember, you're talking about a bullet that has a high ballistic coefficient and great sectional density to begin with, so it's rather flat shooting. Will 100 fps make much of a difference to you? Don't think you'll notice it much. Basically, it's like the 6.5 X 55 Swede, a very popular round in Scandanavia and Europe for most everything. Many hunt w/light, handy rifles. However, that being said, I notice that Sako, in their Finnlight stainless synthetic, is putting a 24" barrel on that particular gun for their 6.5. A couple of inches either way won't matter much, except to you and what you intend to use the gun for. Great caliber choice, though.

VZ24260-1.jpg

Mine is 22" Douglas factory blued and long chambered #3 taper.

I got the 260Rem 98 Mauser barrel unused off the internet.
I don't have a 260 reamer, and I am no 260 expert.
Someone on the internet sent me a VZ24 action with welded bolt handle.
I bought a used scope off the internet.
I pulled a military stock from my bone pile.

It has only been to the range 3 times.
I do have Quickload and have played "what if" with that.

It only fired 3 shots on the third trip to the range per my range report:
100 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip moly coated # 26100 bullet moly coated ,
45.0 gr canister IMR4895,
2.940" over all length, almost no insertion of the bullet into the neck,
due to the short bullet and long throat.
Quickload prediction 61,328 psi 3261 fps
chronographs as 3,236 fps

0.99" 3 shot group at 100 yards, still perfectly sighted in on third
trip to the range.

The 120 gr Ballistic tip will probably be what I use if I ever hunt with it.
The difference between 22" and 26" barrels is ~ 100 fps, which is about 50 yards.

I generally give up on a bullet, for mule deer, when it gets below 2000 fps, 1000 foot pounds, or 8 moa elevation from a 200 yard zero , which ever comes first.

The elevation limit is at 550 or 550 yards.
The power limit is a 800 or 850 yards.
The velocity limit is at 600 or 650 yards.

So I can't see any real practical difference for 26" over 22".

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.