barrel headspace ?

hellbound

when installing barrel and setting headspace do u prefer tight bolt lockup or smooth. im using the appropiate go and no go gauges. just wonder whats preferred. i dont reload yet so will be trying different factory loads. ive heard that too tight isnt good on lugs. help me out!

when installing barrel and setting headspace do u prefer tight bolt lockup or smooth. im using the appropiate go and no go gauges. just wonder whats preferred. i dont reload yet so will be trying different factory loads. ive heard that too tight isnt good on lugs. help me out!
Smooth lockup. Too tight can lead to pressure issues and stuck cases.

Use your go gauge, with the firing pin assembly remove, close the bolt and tighten the barrel until its snug, then work the bolt up and down, slightly adjusting the barrel until there is a slight amount of drag to close it, and if its a belted cartridge turn the barrel counter clockwise a 1/16 to a 1/8 of an inch to allow for different brands of brass that may have a little different belt, but make sure it still will not close with the no go.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts