barrel cleaning with a brake?

shootinfool

For those of you that use a gun with a muzzle brake on it, what is the way you guys clean with the brake? Do you take it off when you clean the barrel and then clean the brake seperately or do you just leave it on and clean normally. I have been cleaning with the brake on the guns and using Q-tips to clean in the holes of the brake. I cant always tell when the patches come out clean because of the residue in the brake and the solevent that gets trapped in the holes and was wondering if it would affect the accuracy of the gun to remove and replace the brake every time you clean the gun or not. What does everyone here think?

thanks for the response. Maybe i was just thinking too much into it. I had the thought that if the torque on the pillar screws could make a difference in the shot groups/accuracy of the gun that maybe the having the same torque on the brake might matter or that somehow removing it and reinstalling it could change the harmonics of the barrel or something like that. I guess ill just have to try it and see.

I do it both ways. You don't have to clean the brake pristine. I had one barrel I never took the brake off and shot the barrel out shooting matches without a problem. I usually just put a Qtip up to the muzzle to clean out the solvent. That's it. If I take the brake off I don't clean the brake but just makes it easier to clean the muzzle area. You can clean the brake once in a while with a soak if you felt it was needed.

thanks for the response. Maybe i was just thinking too much into it. I had the thought that if the torque on the pillar screws could make a difference in the shot groups/accuracy of the gun that maybe the having the same torque on the brake might matter or that somehow removing it and reinstalling it could change the harmonics of the barrel or something like that. I guess ill just have to try it and see.
I have dots of white paint on action screws and breaks , then scribe a line through it . They should pick up threads at same point every time you take them of , unless I am just blind hog lucky , they go back to same setting easily every time for me and yes I am OCD and lock my doors 3 times . If you torque them to same place you should have no problem

Just buy a Teslong bore scope and stop guessing as to when your barrel is clean. The image quality is amazing and they aren't a lot of money. Don't need to take the brake off, know when the barrel is clean, inspect chamber, keep track of shoulder erosion.....

Attachments

• WIN_20220607_17_27_27_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220607_17_27_27_Pro.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Photo_20220607184305.jpg
    Photo_20220607184305.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Photo_20220607184419.jpg
    Photo_20220607184419.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Photo_20220607184355.jpg
    Photo_20220607184355.jpg