Barrel burnout

gvjm

So my 223 H-Bar heavy barrel AR stopped grouping. Once a under half inch gun now it's throwing 1 1/2" to 2" groups. This is a prairie dog gun with close to 10000 rds through it, all hot loads. But just were does the barrel burn? I was under the impression it starts at the throat but I was told that it can also be at the crown. If true can I cut the barrel down and recrown it? Does that even make sense?

They look something like this when shot out…from the throat forward….
AF460A2B-FD8D-491F-84B8-9305C781C746.jpeg

Greyfox, in the chart, what does Bore Capacity Charge Weight mean and how is it derived?

Yes, get a new barrel. The one you have probably has 2" of "freebore"

Last edited:
barrel life chart.jpg

What cowboybart said ☝️☝️

What does Bore Capacity Charge Weight mean and how is it derived?

Last edited:
Greyfox, in the chart, what does Bore Capacity Charge Weight mean and how is it derived?

Yes, get a new barrel. The one you have probably has 2" of "freebore"

The bore capacity/weight in the chart is the charge weight of the length of the cartridge were equal to the diameter. The author intended it to show this value(charge weight) to serve as a reference (or index) point between the calibers when a "square" charge is loaded. The degree of "over-bore" is dictated by how much you exceed this ((square) charge weight. "Over-bore" cartridges generally produce less barrel life. For example a 6.5 calibers bore capacity charge weight is 33gr. With an estimated 3000 round barrel life. At 60grs the barrel life drops off to 1000 rounds. This cartridge/ load would be considered over-bore….more so then a 6.5CM with a 39gr charge. Most all modern cartridges have charges that are greater then the square charge…it's only used as an index to compare the degree of over-bore. I believe authors overall intent of the chart was to show relative comparisons with caliber. Absolute barrel life is effected by several variables, but the values shown in the chart tie pretty close to my own experiences given "average" use…not babied/not cooked.

Last edited: