barrel break-in

arios

Does anyone know if an improperly broken-in barrel can be saved? I'm assuming the barrel was allowed to get too hot when it was new. (300 RUM) My brother owned the rifle and gave it to me because he wasn't happy with the accuracy. Apparently it always shoots the first three shots just fine, but begins to spray after that. Any thoughts?

Yes, factory barrel. I suppose after three shots he could be flinching; although he would never admit it. I also though it might be getting too hot, as it is the factory barrel which is pretty thin.

how hot is "to hot" ? have the throat checked with bore scope, if it's ok, bbl should be ok to go.

i believe weatherby only guarantees 3 shot accuracy with their light barrel guns.
as for proper breakin, thats a controversial subject even among barrel makers.
heat can spoil groups regardless of how the barrel was broken in. especially with light barrels.
chances are your brother wasent cut out for a light weight rum. thats nothing to be ashamed over.
id be putting a muzzel brake on it and shooting 3 shot groups.

Thanks for your input. Personally, I think that three shots is plenty for a hunting rifle, I tend to favor single-shots. I believe if the first, or second, shot isn't good; the animal has won the round. Still, just wondering what you guys thought. I have just mounted a scope on the rifle, and have yet to shoot it myself. If I can put three shots in an inch, I think I will be satisfied. (Half inch would be better.)

Some barrels foul fast and a fouled barrel normally doesn't shoot well.

What do you have to loose. clean bore to bare metal, do a shoot and clean 5 or 6 times
and if it doesent start cleaning easier you probably cant help it.

Also the light barrel will heat up fast so let it cool between shots. and dont rule poor bedding.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.