Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

Which is the better hunting bullet?

• Total voters
I should've said it more clearly, what i was trying to say is: If fragments are great when coming from a Berger, then why are they frowned upon when they came from a Barnes? I know they are designed to perform differently, but heck if the petals came off of one of my Barnes bullets and the animal didnt suffer, and expired quickly, then i am perfectly fine with that. I wasnt trying to say that this Barnes performed like a Berger.

Jeff, curious as to what you recovered this bullet from? Distance? Impact velocity?

Damascus, very interested in your results.

I agree.. I have 2 recovered shot from a .260, one a deer at 140 yds, the other an insanely large feral hog shot at 40 yds... They both expanded beautifully, but they also were not moving nearly as fast as 3100... Thats hitting awfully hard! I am going to drag my old 7 one of these days and see how it performs

the problem when the petals blow off is now the bullet is caliber size . it's just about like hunting with a FMJ bullet . also there is only 4 petals to make wound channels , not a lot of fragments .

that bullet never hit a bone , but it did go through about 3 or 4 feet of meat . I was tracking the wounded deer , when it jumped to run I shot it running straight away from me .I thought I was on the base of the neck but I hit it in the upper of the rear leg and the bullet ended up in it's neck . the bullet traveled through the back strap . it did no damage to the meat , or spine , only punched a hole . I killed three animals with the TSX's that I feel delivered less than acceptable results . after I recovered this bullet I stopped using them , as I feel I found the problem .

these were 160's from my 7 rem mag , " heavy per caliber " . if the 160 did this what would the bullet look like if I used light per caliber at a few hundred more FPS , as per recommendations .

Broz , that's a good looking Berger bullet .

the problem when the petals blow off is now the bullet is caliber size . it's just about like hunting with a FMJ bullet . also there is only 4 petals to make wound channels , not a lot of fragments .

that bullet never hit a bone , but it did go through about 3 or 4 feet of meat . I was tracking the wounded deer , when it jumped to run I shot it running straight away from me .I thought I was on the base of the neck but I hit it in the upper of the rear leg and the bullet ended up in it's neck . the bullet traveled through the back strap . it did no damage to the meat , or spine , only punched a hole . I killed three animals with the TSX's that I feel delivered less than acceptable results . after I recovered this bullet I stopped using them , as I feel I found the problem .

these were 160's from my 7 rem mag , " heavy per caliber " . if the 160 did this what would the bullet look like if I used light per caliber at a few hundred more FPS , as per recommendations .

Broz , that's a good looking Berger bullet .
i dont know about the fmj part, yes the bullet is now caliber size but the front end is blunt. And we all know that if a bullet is blunt then its BC drops dramaticly, and the BC is the bullets ability to penetrate air, i feel that can also be applied to what the wound channel would look like.

Heres an example. Lets say both bullets pencil with no expansion. Bullet A has a long bottail, long ogive, and a high BC. Bullet B is a flat based wadcutter with a horrible BC. Both bullets hit at 1600 fps.

Bullet A gradually moves tissue out of the way because of the small meplat, Bullet B moves tissue out of the way at a much faster rate because of the much larger frontal surface area or meplat. Therefor leaving a wider wound channel.

Riley

. I would say that was perfect performance. If you were useing a Berger or a N.P. you would have had half the penetration and gallons of wasted meat on the same shot at the same speed. . If you don't think a wide flat meplate.kills well , you might have a chat with John Linebaugh. Or a number of African P.H.s .

But, if u don't like Barnes, that's fine, more for those of us that do.

I can't say for sure but , I'd guess if I used a lead core bullet and wasted a bunch of meat it would have damaged the spine and ended the chase , or at least slowed him up a bunch .

The petals breaking is nowhere NEAR as bad as fragmentation... weight penetrates. A lead core bullet that fragments or explodes on impact usually breaks into extremely tiny bits ... the problem there is that those bits are so tiny and so light, they lose all of their kinetic energy almost instantly, usually making a nasty looking wound around the area it fragmented, not not deep enough to get the vitals, nor heavy/hard enough to break bone.
The 4 petals on the TSX would still have enough weight to keep penetrating, I would think. I need to find a way to test this. I have some 140 gr 7mm TSX's, and Im trying to locate some 160's, since my 140's are Tipped, and also boattails... not going to act anything like the flat base 160. The 7mm with long heavy bullets have outstanding S.D. and B.C... I am interested in seeing how the behave at very high velocities...

I also REALLY want to test some LRX's in 7mm or preferably .30 cal, and see how they react with their unique tungsten alloy core - but I cant find any around here... although I doubt if I could afford em if they were lol.

Man, I wish Speer/Federal would release component bullets for theie tipped trophy bonded bear claw and especially their .224" 64gr bonded duty round that they sell to LE... those are awesome bullets

The petals breaking is nowhere NEAR as bad as fragmentation... weight penetrates. A lead core bullet that fragments or explodes on impact usually breaks into extremely tiny bits ... the problem there is that those bits are so tiny and so light, they lose all of their kinetic energy almost instantly, usually making a nasty looking wound around the area it fragmented, not not deep enough to get the vitals, nor heavy/hard enough to break bone.
The 4 petals on the TSX would still have enough weight to keep penetrating, I would think. I need to find a way to test this. I have some 140 gr 7mm TSX's, and Im trying to locate some 160's, since my 140's are Tipped, and also boattails... not going to act anything like the flat base 160. The 7mm with long heavy bullets have outstanding S.D. and B.C... I am interested in seeing how the behave at very high velocities...

I also REALLY want to test some LRX's in 7mm or preferably .30 cal, and see how they react with their unique tungsten alloy core - but I cant find any around here... although I doubt if I could afford em if they were lol.

Man, I wish Speer/Federal would release component bullets for theie tipped trophy bonded bear claw and especially their .224" 64gr bonded duty round that they sell to LE... those are awesome bullets

Barnes no longer makes the MRX, which is the bullet with the tungsten core. They replaced it with the LRX, it has a longer boattail and longer ogive then the MRX bullet of the same weight did with no tungsten. I have tested the 145 LRX out of my 7mm-08 and they were extremely easy to find a load for, and they liquified my whitetail does's lungs, heart, and stomach at 100 yards with about a 1" exit. I have about 400 of the 168 LRX for my 284 win once it is done being rebarreled, i will use those for elk and 162 grain A-Max for deer/antelope and coyotes.

I just looked , I have 3 pulled TSX 160's . do you want them ? if you do send me a pm with your address and I'll get them to you .I can probably send them in a padded envelope cheaply . I'll be gone over the weekend . Jim

i shoot the barnes, best way to go in my opinon. i've shot most of the other bullets out their,with poor game preformance. i dont prefer bloodshot meat, or loosing a animal when a bullet fails. they may not be the best long range bullet but their also not the worst.

I don't know if there is such a thing as a magic bullet but these mono metal bullets are as close as we hunters are likely to get. It seems there are a lot more hunters that Lille them than that don't

None of your three would be my choice but between them I'd to with the Barnes.

The Partition is a great penetrater but it's all but useless at long range due to the flat base, BC, and lack of expansion at lower velocieties.

You are absolutely right! If you would like to, take a look over the Atlantic. There you find top fab - ammo and/or bullets in various calibers. Lead free brass bullets (famous already), very expensive but superb. :) The 300 WM for example has a speed of 1024 m/s at 100 meters!gun) Even excellent reloading tips and data tables.

Munition - Lutz Mller GmbH

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.