Barnes Bullets, Are they missing the LR hunting boat?

Completely correct if the groove continues all the way around the circumference of the bullet.

With GSC bullets, once it has been engraved by the rifling, there is no groove but a series of buttons that are buried in the boundary layer of air that flows over the bullet. This does not raise a secondary shock wave and does not affect drag.

Interesting hypothesis. Experimental support?

Interesting hypothesis. Experimental support?

Is velocity recorded BC testing of these GSC bullets one way to test this?

I notice the ridges (bands) on the GSC bullets are much smaller than the bands in the first bullet pictured. Also the first bullet is cut circumferential below the diameter of the lands (like Barnes bullets), whereas there are no such cuts in the GSC. This alone should improve BC value of the GSCs.

Is velocity recorded BC testing of these GSC bullets one way to test this?

I notice the ridges (bands) on the GSC bullets are much smaller than the bands in the first bullet pictured. Also the first bullet is cut circumferential below the diameter of the lands (like Barnes bullets), whereas there are no such cuts in the GSC. This alone should improve BC value of the GSCs.

Strictly speaking a near-far velocity BC measurement would only directly test this hypothesis if one compared otherwise identical bullets with and without the bands.

If a given bullet is only available with the bands, the best one can do is compare its measured BCs with the measured BCs of bullets of the same caliber, weight, and shape. The hypothesis would be supported (but not proven) if the bullet with the bands has an equal or higher measured BC with very similarly shaped bullets without the bands.

In case anyone is interested, Cutting Edge Bullets offers copper 6.5mm in 143grain and .257 in 115 grain. Those are very close to the requests in the first few posts. (but are solids) They also make some raptors that are a little lighter, but still close to the request.

I have no experience with them, but they are available off-the-shelf for purchase.

As expected, the recommended twist is pretty fast and it seems like they would stick out about as far as the brass is long. Maybe that is ok.

Completely correct if the groove continues all the way around the circumference of the bullet.

faqdb17.jpg

With GSC bullets, once it has been engraved by the rifling, there is no groove but a series of buttons that are buried in the boundary layer of air that flows over the bullet. This does not raise a secondary shock wave and does not affect drag.

faqdb458450weaskid.jpg

Thank you for the informative post.

These are not the same at all. Barnes bullets are full caliber diameter with grooves. GS bullets only the groove - upset is full diameter. They are in all reality undersized.

A person could make a reasonable point that sabot round is undersized as well, but that does not make them a low performance concept. I have no idea if it would work, but it would be interesting to see what happens in a bullet that uses drive bands and has portions of it significantly undersized:

Example 375 size chambering, with the bulk of the bullet 358 or 338 size, maybe with tapering to help fill in the hole. I have no idea if the concept makes sense, but in theory you could use a 375 H&H and make it go really fast with an improved SD if it behaves like a normal sabot.

A person could make a reasonable point that sabot round is undersized as well, but that does not make them a low performance concept. I have no idea if it would work, but it would be interesting to see what happens in a bullet that uses drive bands and has portions of it significantly undersized:

Example 375 size chambering, with the bulk of the bullet 358 or 338 size, maybe with tapering to help fill in the hole. I have no idea if the concept makes sense, but in theory you could use a 375 H&H and make it go really fast with an improved SD if it behaves like a normal sabot.

Just the opposite, they are very good bullets. I have used both the 120 and 130's in 7mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.