Barnes 130 gr XLC in 300 win mag

I've been pondering this loading myself. I have some triple shock and xlc sitting here in 130. Bought em for the .308. I can't believe that barnes data shows about 200 fps diff between a regular barnes and a xlc. Using the exact same powder charge. I will see what response comes but,.....I'll bet not to many have ventured into this combo.

300 Rummy, My only concern with your concept is the velocity factor. Anytime stricking velocity is over 3000 fps, Barnes X bullets can shed their petals from the violent expansion. You will still have the majority of the bullet, but the nose "cutting" petals will be gone and one large blunt will be present. At "long range", your velocity will bleed off to be under 3000 fps, but be aware of the petal loss if contact is too close. Just a thought. :

"Anytime stricking velocity is over 3000 fps, Barnes X bullets can shed their petals"

can you prove or back up your statement? Pics are good!

Wildgame, I've shot X bullets since they first came out in the 90s. I talk to Ty and Randy Brooks at Barnes regularly, and they are the ones to confirm that over 3000 fps can break off the petals. Hard to get a picture since I have never had a Barnes X stay in the animal. The factory has photos from testing in ballistic gelatin. Doesn't always happen, but stricking under 3000 fps helps keep the petals in tact from the factory viewpoint.

if a bullet hits something at over 3000 and sheds the pedals, you now have a fairly flat nosed, one dia projectile.this combination can make a larger wound channel than if the pedals stayed on.the faster you drive this type of bullet, the better that it will work.this is how premium solid copper bullets are designed to work.

I can confirm what Whapiti is saying. I called barnes and got much the same answer. They said you should try and match the bullet to impact speed. Try and keep the impact speed under 2800 fps for best performance. I do believe the new tsx's are better at holding their pedals but even barnes can't guarantee perfect performance from the new super mags. (130's are for .308, 150 and 165 for '06, bigger for the mags) I don't understand how a flat blunt bullet will do more damage than one with good frontal diameter. If so I would think that everyone would be making a bullet with a "wipe away" front end. But I do believe that there is still lots of damage that can be done by a high speed blunt bullet.
All that being said I wouldn't be afraid to take on a deer with a 130 barnes out of a magnum....I just wouldn't want to be shooting an elk with the same combo when a bigger bullet is available...and will most likely shoot just as flat because of ballistic efficiency.

Kraky,the reason they make a larger wound channel is the same reason a streamlined bullet goes through the air easier than a flat one.a mushrooming bullet going through an animal is much like a bullet going through air.a flat nosed bullet deflects material straight sideways as it passes through an animal causing a larger wound channel.ask the people that use lost river, groove or gs customs about their killing power.none are a mushrooming style bullet.i'm not advocating their use for long range,just debating the statement about them not being good if they shed their pedals, when in reality if they are shot fast enough to shed the pedals, they'll probably work better!

Well guys, I went ahead and loaded this combo for a friend who insisted on nothing larger, so I sat the 130 XLC on top of 78 gr. of IMR 4831 and a Fed. 215, so hopefully it will be safe at 75 to 100 yds out with the velocity dropping to just under 2800 at 100, will be back to post when the results are in from his first whitetail kill with this load, thanks for all the info. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If I had to make a guess I'd say that you're gonna be doing about 3200-3250 with that load. Even if it sheds the pedals it would probably be in the "midst" or past the vitals. I think the deer will be flattened quite quickly.
Let us know how it all works out.

Kraky1, I think that the petals will be gone in the first inch or so. With the hollow point, expansion is very rapid. So much so that I get blood under the membrane on the input side of my deer. That is why you hear that "ploop" sound upon impact like hitting a big chuck with a varmint bullet. I'm not saying that the shank won't kill (Partitions have been doing it for years!), but ideally, using the heavier weight will give better results and better trajectory at longer distances. Just my thoughts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.