Ballistics beyond 2000 yds : do we need/trust them?

[ QUOTE ]
Did you ever consider that the military loads use a cooler burning propelent to avoid excessive heat in their rappid fire barrels. Military lead alloy may also contain more tin thus making it withstand higher temps.

With your extensive background I would think you would consider all the variables.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do consider all the variables.

Military ammo is loaded with the same powders that we use, but they come in bulk (boxcar loads). The military 30-06 was loaded with IMR 4895, a standard powder. In fact the entire reloading industry was started when 55 gallon drums of IMR 4895 hit the surplus markets after WW2. (It was about 4 cents a pound in drums)

The military powder equivalents these days are W750 Bulk - almost exactly the same speed (and temperature as IMR4895).

There are no cold burning powders. If you shoot mil-surp 7.62 NATO, you will bind that it heats up the barrel just as fast as standard loads.

I think it would be an interesting study to see the different amount of deformation you get on a bullets base with different pressure levels.

Since no two primers are "exactly" the same and once the barrel is fouled, pressures are not exactly the same on each shot. Each powder charge is going to be different due to some powder granules having different geometry. Brass cases will have different neck tensions. The barrel will wear with each shot. As temperature climbs, pressure will change etc, ect.

So, you could achieve the exact same muzzle velocity with different pressure levels and different amounts of bullet deformation on the base.

Different amounts of bullet deformation = a different BC. I don't see why this is so hard to visualize. Next issue.

James

[ QUOTE ]
CatShooter,

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. No idea about lead melting in rifles but I know a lot about the situation in big bore handguns.

Main reason for gas checks on lead bullets is to prevent leading by friction to the bore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poorly lubricated bullets that are gas checked will still lead the bore. The gas checks have some "scraper" action, but not enough to clean the bore.
Lead handgun bullets used to lead from "bore friction" no matter what... the grease lubes were kinda efficient, but not very.

When the Allox lubes came in, it was a big change - first, cuz the Allox lubes allowed higher velocities then ever before, but the second reason was that it caused people to start thinking seriously about why bullets leaded. The current lubes are about lead proof, if the loads are within sanity.

[ QUOTE ]
That said, on big bore revolvers with compensators such as the Ported Taurus and S&W handguns, lead forms on the ports of these handguns when using lead bullets. Not with gas checked bullets but it does with plain base lead bullets of even hard cast nature which says that there is some lead vapor coming off the base of these bullets to build up on the external surfaces of the porting.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't vapor - if it was, it would be coming out so fast that it would be free of the break before it was cool enough to condense on the walls of the break. Also... the temperature that pure lead makes vapor is 3164.0 °F... gentlemen, that is HOT!!! And alloys require even more temperature.
The melting point of ballistic steel is 2750°F. So if the temperature is hot enough to vaporize lead, it is more than hot enough to melt steel... but if you look at the ports, there is no steel melting away.

The lead that build up on the walls of the break is from the same ol' gas cutting... the end of the bullet passes the opening in the barrel, and the 10,000 to 20,000psi burning gas pases across the tail of the bullet on the way out - this gas is traveling **** fast, and the heat/pressure/velocity pushes off some melted lead which splatters on the walls of the port. If you look carefully at the lead build up, you will see that it is "slag looking". If it was vapor, the look of the lead would be smooth and flaw free.
There is a big difference in what static hot gas will do, compared to what the same temperature gas will do crossing an edge at several times the speed of sound.

The gas checked bullets don't allow the hot gas to cut the edge of the bullet when it passes the port.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, another handgun I am quite familiar with is the Magnum Research Desert Eagle. This is a big gas operated semi-auto handgun designed for the largest handgun magnum calibers of its time. You can get these chambered in 357 Mag, 41 Mag, 44 Mag and 50 Action Express.

In the owners manual it STRICTLY forbids the use of any bullet with exposed lead at the base of the bullet. This is because in less then a clip full of rounds with expose lead at the base, the lead vapor will build up in the delicate gas porting vents under the barrel and will turn the handgun into a $2K single shot!!! They are also unable to repair this because there is no way to get in and clean out the lead build up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same reason as above... when a lead bullet crosses a port, the hot gas across the edge will splatter lead int the port - very fast. If you were to shoot a bunch of lead bullets from a ported gun into a catch material, you would find that the base of the bullet was fine' but on one edge, there would be a melted bevel... maybe only a 1/4 or 1/2 of a millimeter. But that little bit of lead is enough to gum up the works of a gas operated DE pistol - I had one - it was clugie!

[ QUOTE ]
So, while I have no experience on rifles as far as testing this it does happen in big bore revolver and semi-auto handguns. If it happens with these applications I do not know why it would not in rifles but thats neither here nor there. Just wanted to point out that in some applications, lead will melt off so some degree off the base of a bullet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kirby... what you observed did happen. But sometimes, what we observe and "think" caused it, can lead us in the wrong direction later when we are trying to solve another "sorta related" problem. We take the mis-information and apply it to problem "B", and we can't solve it. So we give up because we are convinced we did what we were supposed to.

I read this on another site a few days ago... a new reloader checked into a varmint hunting site. He had just gotten a loader kit for Christmas and asked for some information. He was told by one of the folks, that he shouldn't load at this time of the year, cuz when it warms up in the summer, he'll blow up his gun, loose a hand and loose an eye. The writer goes on to say, "... and I have seen guns blow up many times at my local range".
The poor new guy was petrified.

Of course you and I know this story is pure BS - the rise in pressure from 40 to 80 degrees with some of the more temperature sensitive powders (ball and double base stuck), might be a few percent - so max loads at 40 degrees might have a sticky bolt at 80 degrees. And the new guy could have been told to keep the loads a grain under max (it was a .22-250), or he could have been steered towards one of the single base stick powders like the Hodgdon line.

The new guy got bad information, based on rumors that the other guy "thought" he knew about (and creatively elaborated on)

[ QUOTE ]
Back to the debate!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As far as BC changing, no comment, will sit this one out!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Look... when someone says that changing the powder or changing the primer will change the BC, it is purely wrong.

When you plant that information in someone else's head, they take it with them to shooting, and when they are having a problem at long range, they will be looking in the wrong places for a solution. If he is shooting X load at 3000fps and changed the primer or powder but kept the same velocity, he will have the same tracking... but if he changes the primer or powder, and keeps the 3000fps and there is a second (not so obvious problem) this guy will quit looking for it because he will believe he has ruined his BC... when he might have had a new problem enter to picture, like bedding, or scope issues.
Then he'll go back to the original primer and when the problem doesn't go away, he is lost, convinced that he has screwed something up. Then he will start looking at lot numbers, cuz he's still convinced that it MUST be the primers, and when that doesn't work, where does he go??

That is why I challenge bad info like that.

There are opinions... like which is better a 308 or a 7-08, or a Leupold or a Nikon... and we all have them and mostly they are all valid (for each of us).

But when it comes to science, there are no opinions. There are known and proven facts...
... and there are theories based on "properly collected" observations.

All the rest is hearsay and BS.

[ QUOTE ]
Since no two primers are "exactly" the same and once the barrel is fouled, pressures are not exactly the same on each shot. Each powder charge is going to be different due to some powder granules having different geometry. Brass cases will have different neck tensions. The barrel will wear with each shot. As temperature climbs, pressure will change etc, etc. James

[/ QUOTE ]

James...

With all these variables that change from shot to shot, how do we manage to hit anything?

The current 1000 yard BR record is around 1.7" for 10 shots. How did he manage to keep ten shots in that little group when the barrel wore out a little after each shot, the temperature changed after each shot, the fouling changed after each shot, the friction changed after each shot?

By God, it's a flaming miracle that we can hit our feet.

An interesting read is the following. It relates the state of the shooting art THIRTY YEARS AGO. These guys got access to a concrete warehouse and set up to shoot inside of it.

Please note that their groups were repeatedly in the 0.035" (three point five hundredths of an inch ctc !!) at 100yds.
LARGE groups were 0.05".

And they did it over and over and over...

When we "sweat" all the minutia like fouling between shots, it takes us away from the real issues of long range shooting. These discussions are just smoke.

It's like high school kids arguing about whether a Porsche can out corner a Corvett, and none of them have a driver's license.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/max357/houston.html

It's a good read - and might get you focused on the important things.

[ QUOTE ]
Please note that their groups were repeatedly in the 0.035" (three point five hundredths of an inch ctc !!) at 100yds.
LARGE groups were 0.05".

[/ QUOTE ]

Note: At 100 yards. Try that at 2000 yards where it will make a differance. In the spirit of this disscusion, 2000 yards is what we are disscusing. I think that is where you are failing to see our point. We are not talking about changing the BC from .500 to .450, rather we are talking about changing it from .500 to .498, which in all hosesty means NOTHING at 100 yards or 600 for that matter. It does matter for 2000 yards though. Have you ever shot a rifle that far? Not trying to be a smart *** here, I am just trying to open your mind a little.

At 1000 yards with a 2000 yard load, the differance between a .500 G1 bullets drop and .498 is about 0.5" Most shooters including myself will not notice that because most arent good enough nor do we have rifles that are capable of that type of accuracy. We will attribute that to an unsteady rest or more or less velocity for that shot ect...That same scenario when played out at 2000 yards yield a differance of nearly 20" based soley on the .002 BC change.

What has been unidentifiable by you is very identifiable by others.

Get out there and shoot some different loads through an ohler and shoot some at 2000 yards. Then come back here and prove us all wrong. Untill then,

[ QUOTE ]
It's like high school kids arguing about whether a Porsche can out corner a Corvett, and none of them have a driver's license.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"This topic is dead..."

[/ QUOTE ] I don't think so (much as you would like it to be).

You know, Michael.

You whine about me being mean to you and being hard and confrontational.

But I wonder(ed) about it, so I went back the beginning of this thread and read it again.

Gustavo opened this thread with a very nice and polite question regarding some software he was working on. I don't know if he is the code writer, or just working on the math and has a code writer with him, but that's neither here nor there.

The point was that he asked a very polite question about (God forbid) software for LONG RANGE SHOOTING!!

And you promptly chewed his *** off!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In short, when some programs shows downrange values beyond 2000 yards, my best educated estimate is that they rarely are confirmed by real firings.

[/ QUOTE ]

What good are my or your firing tests at beyond 2K going to do for anybody else? Unless they shoot the same caliber with the same bullets with the same twist with the same powder and the same primers at the same velocities, firing test only benefit the shooter doing the test.

As has been brought out MANY times here already, ballistic software will ONLY work for each user AFTER he has done his own tests with his own equipment. From there on, with an accurate BC and drag model for his own equipment, will he get accurate predictions for ever changing enviornmental conditions.

So to answer your original question. Without doing firing tests for each set of equipment, NO they cannot predict 2000 yard and beyond accuratly. My software cannot, yours cannot, exbal cannot, RSI cannot, sierra cannot. None. It is as simple as that. None ever will be either.

You must go do firing tests first for accurate predictions in other than your firing test conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, Michael... that was totally uncalled for - Gustavo was asking a polite question, and you pretty much said "Who the hell do you think you are, writing ballistic software... don't you know that you don't know what I do, therefore you can't do it, and if you don't do it my way it is no good!"

Really low class, Michael. That was Confrontational! (I think that's the word you used)

[ QUOTE ]
The point is catshooter, that in order for my tests to match yours, all things must be equal. That is all the point I am trying to make. Nothing more nothing less.

Differant powders and differant primers WILL yield differant velocities at differant twists. That is alot of variables. So if I test bullet "A" with all of my equipment, and you test that same bullet with yours, yes the results of BC and drag model WILL be differant.

Granted, most of the ballistic testing done on record has been done by the military, using VERY similar weapons and load components, so yeah, when using 168's and 175's and othe military match bullets from a 308 with similar twists and similar velocities, things are a little more predictable. Answer me this, when did the military use 178 AMAX's or bergers?? Or when did they use these bullets in a 300 RUM? You simply cannot say that all this ballistic research has been done over the last 100 years and that it is all predictable.

You say that makes ballistic software usless. If you are trying to hot a target at 1K with out first doing firing tests, youre right. They are useless.

You have to remember that the point of ballistic software is to accurately predict bullet flight in a new enviornment with real world BC's and drag models. Without those 2 key components, software generates a good guess. YOU CAN ONLY GET ACCURATE BC's AND DRAG MODELS FROM REAL WORLD FIRING TESTS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael... this is an odd thing coming from a guy that is touting his own software?

http://www.ratexenterprises.net/

Something about "Premium Ballistic software created for the long range hunter by a long range hunter".

Now tell us, Michael... with all this poo-poo about long range software being NO GOOD unless you check it first, are YOU going to match all these guys rifles to your software??

I mean, the GUI front page is nice, but what ballistic engine software is running behind it? You sure didn't write the basic code.

So I went on a search for your past posts...

Here's a goodie.

[ QUOTE ]
12/14/05 12:01 PM

308 = 175 SMK @ 2700 FPS * 50 grains powder = 54 FPS per grain of powder.
30-378 = 175 SMK @ 3450 FPS * 100 grains powder = 34.5 FPS per grain of powder.

This illustrates how despite being slower in velocity, the 308 is much more efficient than the high velocity 30-378.
Twice the powder does not yeild twice the velocity. Why? Because bigger cases are less efficient.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now Michael - you should know that weight of powder does NOT compute as velocity, it relates to kinetic energy.

Hell, everyone in Ballistics know that.

Hell man, it's high school physics - you remember the energy increases by the exponent of the increase in speed.

Double the speed, four times the energy...

If you think you can put in double the energy (double the fuel) and come out with four times the energy, you have broken ALL the universal rules of physics, and there's buncha guys at Cal Tech and MIT that want to meet you.

So (following the boring rules of physics) the energy in a bullet at 3000 fps is FOUR TIMES the energy in a bullet at 1500 fps.

Using your example

175SMK @ 2700fps = 2832.3 ft/lps or 56.646 ft/lbs per grain.
175SMK @ 3450fps = 4624.3 ft/lbs or 46.243 ft/lbs per grain.

Not bad... the 30-378 has 81.635% efficiency of the 308.

But of course you know (or should know) the fly in the ointment. That is the EXPANSION RATIO!!

The 308 round has a capacity of about 68 grains of water, the 30-378 has about twice that.

Which means that the powder in the 30-378 can expand less than the powder in the 308, so it doesn't have the same chance to deliver it's energy to the projectile.

So the barrel volume of a 30 cal, 28' barrel (0.07258335774079999" x 28 = 2.032 (rounded off) cubic inches. Translate that to cubic centimeters

And you get...

308 case is ~3.24 cc

30-378 is ~6.48 cc

The barrel is 33.3 cc's

The expansion ratios are...

308 = 10.185:1

30-378 = 5.13.

So what we have is a case that has 1/2 the expansion ratio but delivers 81.6% of the energy. The 30-378 is NOT inefficient, it is VERY efficient. If it had a longer barrel, it would be close to equal in ft/lbs per grain.

So ... on this subject, you bombed out big time. You know nothing about internal ballistics!

I kept looking in the past archives, and what do I find, a while back you are asking the board how bullets fly, and how to handle Baro/temp issues.

Now that is not what one would expect from a self proclaimed expert that tells everybody else "What it is!!"

Michael, you are a novice at this.

You have a pretty faced piece of software product that you want to sell, so I guess you can write code, or know someone that can, but you don't know doodle squat about ballistics, internal or external.

How's that for confrontational.

Guys ask me to explain stuff, I have no problem doing it in scientific detail that most anyone, even a rank beginner, can understand... but ask you to explain something, and you tuck tail and run for cover.

You go around bluffing these guys all you want, but your theories don't fly.

You owe Gustavo an apology. He didn't deserve what you said to him.

If people listened to guys like you..."DON'T try that, cuz I say it won't work." then we'd all be in the dark ages and thinking 300 yds was a long shot.

There was a time when people DID think 300 yds was a long shot. But people that asked questions and thought, "Why can't I..." brought us to where we are now... and in ten years we will be further on and look back at these days and laugh.

Me... I got thick skin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So go pimp your software (and remember to test each guys rifle with it before you deliver it).

Meow.

If I had spoken abusivly to Gustavo, I would apologize. In fact, Gustavo, if you took what I said in any kind of abusive manner, I do apologize. That certainly is not what was intended.

As for you CS, I happen to deal with Gustavo alot. And he is one of my customers. I think I know him better than you do. Stay out of what Gustavo and I talk about. I also told him that he was doing good work and to keep it up and that hopefully him or I or both could someday make a more usefull computer based shooting tool than what we already have. You left that part out though cause that wouldnt help smear my name. That is OK.

As for the rest, you are right, as a ballistic software "sales man" I should claim false things. Anything to make a sale right? Thats what every other sales man would do, so I should too right? Wrong. I say the truth, even if it help me LOOSE a sale. I stand by the fact that the purpose of ballistic software is to give you accurate bullet drops in a ever changing enviornment by using a verified BC and drag model. If that scares customers away, then they are not the customers I want in the first place. And BTW, yes, I did write ALL of the code in my software. You can read it at the copywrite office in Washington DC.

As far as not knowing anything about external ballistics, that is the pot calling the kettle black. I have enough 1 shot LR kills (over 600 yards) to make me feel warm and fuzzy all over. I dont need to be told that I do or dont know anything about external ballistics.

[ QUOTE ]
I kept looking in the past archives, and what do I find, a while back you are asking the board how bullets fly, and how to handle Baro/temp issues.

Now that is not what one would expect from a self proclaimed expert that tells everybody else "What it is!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not afraid to learn new things as I have an open mind. Bear in mind all thing learned here or on my own or with the aid of others here, all is verified. Some questions are to verify what I have already tested, some questions are to fill in the blank spots. That doesnt make me a novice. I also never tell anybody that IS how it is. If someone askes what we know, If I know something, I will chime in on my 2 cents. At least I am out there experimenting and learning WITH an open mind. You should try it someday.

[ QUOTE ]
but ask you to explain something, and you tuck tail and run for cover.

[/ QUOTE ]

What have I not explained?

Have a good evening.

Hello Gustavo, I for one am very interested in ballistics past 2k. I think we could have first round hits @ 2500 if the math were right. 3000 may be the outer limits with coriolis effect, until we start using dart-sabot combos which would also negate hunting as I am pretty sure they are less lethal than lead copper combinations. Propellants also seem to be fairly squirly at this point in the game (temp changes, moisture content, elevation) all would suggest different pressures and burn rates. What we need are screw turned projos made on a cnc machine, barrels that can handle them, extremely stable propellants and a planet with no wind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It would also be nice if someone took long range shooters serious enough to recreate the drag tables based on a 7 to 10mm extrapolation instead of howitzer rounds from WWII. Lost river may have done this, not sure.

Catshooter I have enjoyed your posts, you sound like you have mucho experience, but in this thread for some reason your acting like a female. I come here for an escape from that crap, so relax and agree to disagree.

I have read enough literature on bullet flight patterns to make a ballistician puke. There is no substitute for real life trigger time and labratory results don't seem to line up with real world results that often, so for now until this software comes to fruition, I'll keep coming here and having a good laugh at Kirby's exploits on prarie dogs in northern MT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Have a good one.

Wow! I really don't feel well after what turned out to be a fight over two gentlemen! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'm not trying to be diplomatic, but I respect both stands, of CS and Michael, and I highly respect their divergent positions and the way they still treat each other and most specially that none of them left the battlefield.

I do recognize in that attitude the trademark of true gentlemen. I mean it.

On the other hand, neither Michael nor CS owe me any apologies, we are just trying to make better ballistics and it's not easy sometimes.

For the record, I do both, the math modelling and the software coding, the databases design...well even the coffee!! And I hope to have my website up and running in short time. My background includes a BS in Computer Science, a BS in Operations Research, an MBA and I have the rank of LTCDR in the Argentine Navy (surface) and an "honorary" submarines diploma ( you know these underwater guys are very jealous /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

In the meantime I'm trying hard to verify as much as possible the results I'm obtaining with my software, since I do not only intend to market a good tool, but to help others and myself to obtain trusted values in the field.

Here we must open another point, and is related as our own design criteria and approach (both technical and practical) of what kind of use we want to expect from our ballistics tools, of which software is a most valuable one.

First of all, and as discussed previously I cannot agree more with the notion that for very long distances, the only way to go is with BCs and trajectory points collected for each system under carefully guarded conditons. Otherwise, we are guessing. The more I research this subject, the more I talk to knowledgeable people the more I can attest to this. And without doubt is an unfortunate situation we must cope with

But, my priority is what Micahel stated very well, to have a tool that predicts fairly well upon 2000 yards (and that IS A STRETCH by all means...) with changing conditions and parameters easily available for 90% of the shooters ( myself included ) that cannot verify ( or just don't want to ) every listed BC, etc, etc, but at the same time wants to have at hand a nice, and to be trusted, field "data chart" in order to make long range shots more than the old Kentucky shooters could afford.

But since I'm on a non-stop learning process, opted to open the topic. And for what I already read it's still open and going strong.

So it would be interesting for the interest of all us LRH to share experiences of predicted versus real-world data.

Please keep talking!

Gustavo,

You never cease to amaze me! Very diplomatic

[ QUOTE ]
we are just trying to make better ballistics and it's not easy sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am definatly on board with you there. I try to apply the things I have learned in to my software and it is apparent that you do too. An old rifle smith friend of mine once told me that "nothing ventured, nothing gained." How true that is, even if it does invite heated disscusions by those that dissagree. The fact that guys like you and I attempt such a feat even in the face of opposition makes me feel good. I had NO BODY to teach me visual basic code. I am self taught. Granted, my software isnt as proffesional looking as some, it has a practical real life use. As time and experiance goes on, it will improove, as will yours. I am proud to have the patience with computers, code, longrange shooting and the ability to put it together for a good use. To those that think this is all for profit, trust me on this: I have invested tens of thousands of $$ and countless hours of time behind the rifle and computer and made less than 2,000 bucks in the entire venture. This truly stems from the love I have for this sport and my software is for the benefit of the rest of the people out their that share the love and patience I have for this awesome sport. No doubt Gustavo, you will develop your version with the same fuel I have and with the same love and patience for this great sport! Hats off to you!

Gustavo,

I think all the textbooks in the world are equal to one half the value of real world experience from hands on work. And from learning in both ways, I can say that most of this thread is armchair theory anyways.

In other words, it is hard to determine what is really going on at 2k and further because of the real world kicking in and distorting the evidences. Unless you can shoot this distance indoors in a controlled environment with artificial lighting, it is very hard to see if the programs are good or not at this distance. When I have dialed up to shoot at varmints at 2k, nearly every time the computer was off a little and sometimes a lot. Is this because the program is wrong or is it because of environmental factors? Or is it because of equipment anyomalies? Who's to say. It is picking fly crap out of the pepper. The only thing to do is pull the trigger and find out. Thus we go back to hands on experience and leave the textbooks home. Only after practice at this range, can one guy get any kind of an idea what is going on.

So basically what I'm trying to say is thta with current shoulder fired weapons and bullets, the error increases dramatically from 2k on out because of any number of reasons. But programs should continue to be made that are as accurate as possible and then it will boil down to the last denominator anyways- the shooter!

Goodgrouper, yes I cannot agree more.

Real firing experience is irreplaceable and so far, and unfortunately things are that way. Of course, shooter's errors are perhaps the most profound source of errors, but in my original post I stated : do we need or trust predictions at that range taking into consideration the fact that the slightest trigger movement or wind or bedding problem will be amplified beyond control and magnified several times?

Well, to the present state of the art in rifle making ( beside ballistics knowledge or investment), maybe a reasonable answer could be not to attempt hunting at those ranges, but we're or at least try to be LR hunters! go figure!

However and since it's not easy to have access to field data at those distances, I still will appreciate those values even knowing that errors are present.

Michael, as you pointed out, this endeavor is not to make a profit "perse" is to finance the investment in making and researching good software and specially to maintain it. I don't know if some members are aware that some years ago I released absolutely for free my first version, a program called "LoadBase 1.0".

Well, the cost to produce version 2.0 is going VERY high...so I decided to market it in order to avoid the underfinancing to improve and most critical, to give the potential users a good service and support for their purchase. And it's impossible to do that without making some profit to sustain it.

Otherwise, I'll repeat my excellent previous experience ( in terms of nice support from many users )and give it away for free.

Also I'm very aware that the market for this type of software is very, very small.

But you said it nicely, we do this with passion and love for the sport.

Of course, this is no excuse for not looking for the best accurate methods we all are after.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.