Baden Hams Brake

Topshot

Check out the new style of brake that Baden has fitted to my Sako .338WM.

mypic2

How did the brake perform?

Well not as good as I had thought it would be. Recoil is reduced a bit and it is not very noisy so that is good but overall I would only rate it as giving a 10 to 20% reduction in recoil.

The hole in the end of the brake I feel is too large (about .390) and it needs a larger expansion chamber.

After firing about 20 shots through it, you can see a lot of powder residue on the front half of the slotted section but not much on the rear of the slotted section and none on the small holes close to the muzzle.

This leads me to believe that most of the gas is going straight through with only a small portion being deflected sideways.

I might try and get hold of a DE or Holland radial brake and see how they compare. That is if I can find one here in Australia.

Im not bagging anyone but, my hunting buddy who is a acomplished boiler maker, makes his own brakes, and these things are good.

Copys of Vias and DE they are a labour of love,but he has had some outstanding results with them.

If you know anyone who is a trade qualifyed turner they should be able to make you almost anything without going to a "gunsmith"

Just my 2c

I've just bought a 300wby with the Accubrake fitted, I'd guess it reduces recoil by 45-50%, I'd rate the recoil somewhere between a 243 & 7mm08.
I'm pretty sure you can get your gun shop to order them through Nioa Australia & get your local smith to fit it.

I've just bought a 300wby with the Accubrake fitted, I'd guess it reduces recoil by 45-50%, I'd rate the recoil somewhere between a 243 & 7mm08.
I'm pretty sure you can get your gun shop to order them through Nioa Australia & get your local smith to fit it.

Hi M_vanders,

I have had a look at the "Accubrake" and it looks like it works similar to the one that Baden built for me. I think that the problem with the Baden brake is that the hole in the end is too large?

On the Accubrake to get the claimed 53% reduction in recoil, the hole in the end must be at a closer tolerance. I would be interested to find out the bullet clearance that their is on your "Accubrake"

What is the diameter of the hole in the end of your Accubrake on your 300wby?

Mate just contact Shawn and get the 4 port DE break i did .

Being fitted at the moment to my 28inch lilija barrel .

JAWZ.

I just E-mailed Shawn about getting one, should have done it in the first place but just found out from Australian Customs that you don't need a dangerous goods import permit and sponsor to get one sent into Australia. Unlike just about all other firearm parts!

As a matter of interest I have just drilled out the 12 small radial holes to three times their original size and changed the angle to 90 degrees and the brake does work a tad better!

Hi guys..

I have got 2 Harrells Brakes in at this time. The last one they sent was the wrong size so I will see what happens as I did order the correct diametre. The last one is going on to a 300 RUM Sendero.
From what I see they are well made and reasonable in price. They are a radial brake so you need to be aware of this.

I'll let you know how I go with the 300wsm project once John Mials fits it. I can send one up for the next meeting so you can have a look Norm?

TB

Go the DE . Probably the 3 port for your profile I'm quessing ?

My gun kicks like a light '06 ! You could shoot all day long !

Very happy. And at a pinch you could shoot without plugs, cause I have had to !

DUH

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.