Bad rounds

tomestone

I had prep some 40SW brass and primed them some months ago and lefted them covered with a shop towel on the reloading bench.When I reloaded them with 4.8grs 231 Win.powder the first round stuck it the barrel with in the first 1in. of the barrel. I knocked it out with a dowel, second round did the same. I pulled the third round with a bullet puller and fired the blank and it made the same noise as a new reloaded blank,the flash pan burn test was a yellow flame a lots of residue left on pan. What do you think is wrong here?

Im guessing that they haven't been sized correctly, or the bullet is sticking too far out of the case and getting stuck in the rifling.

Check the diameter of the brass with some GOOD calipers and compare to spec on that case.. Even a couple thousandths could cause you headache with a tight chamber.

It looks like the case should be no more than 10.74mm at the neck and 10.77 at the base. Check the length of the brass also as that could also cause a problem.. Its unlikely that they have lengthened, but it is possible.

40_S%26W_Scale_Drawing.svg

I would pull the bullets, kill the primers with oil, pop them out, resize and reload.

Hope this helps!

NVM.. I see that you are shooting these rounds and the bullet is getting stuck in the barrel.. duh.

What grain bullet? Im guessing that the powder has gotten some moisture in it and is not burning as quickly as it should.

I would ditch the powder and try again with known good powder if I were you.

Iam loading 180gr XTP and CCI primers it was a near new can of powder so Iam going to try to load one more round with this powder to see if the brass got damp or if the powder is damp.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts