Bad Rifle, Bad Load, or Bad Shooter?

I tried that on my light weight rifles. I couldn't stay consistent. If it works for you and helps you stay on target keep it up. Still grinin' over the laugh.

So here's my question in regards to the nut behind the trigger...

When I shoot I generally shoot off a bag in front and back. Then, I place my hand on top of the end of the scope bell. Generally I do this to keep the gun from kicking up/back or whatever. I get good groups and they are consistant. I know what each of the rifles shoot per load. Should I not place my hand on the scope? Sometimes I will put pressure on the end of the scope to move the crosshairs a fraction of an inch down range. I can change practices if it is suggested.

Not unusual to see folks put a hand on the scope to keep the rifle from jumping too much. The jump is much more of an issue with lighter carry weight hunting rifles. I have seen shooters like Bob Beck and Gale McMillan do this in videos while shooting in field conditions and I wouldn't call them bad shots and say they don't know what they are doing.

But, I wouldn't put my hand on the front bell as there if flex going on with the scope, especially with your hand out on the front. When I have used this method, I have put my hand over the center of the scope as Bob and Gale do. This is uncomfortable, and I still don't like my hand on the scope. I prefer to hold the rifle in the more traditional method with the left hand on the forearm of the stock. When shooting off bags, I just hold the forearm and pull straight down slightly and keep that downward pressure as consistent as possible from shot to shot.

So here's my question in regards to the nut behind the trigger...

When I shoot I generally shoot off a bag in front and back. Then, I place my hand on top of the end of the scope bell. Generally I do this to keep the gun from kicking up/back or whatever. I get good groups and they are consistant. I know what each of the rifles shoot per load. Should I not place my hand on the scope? Sometimes I will put pressure on the end of the scope to move the crosshairs a fraction of an inch down range. I can change practices if it is suggested.

lightbulbThe nut behind the trigger comment was never meant to be negative statement and I think you answered your own question.lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.