Bad brass or to much pressure

mnhntr

While working up a load for my new rifle I had a piece of brass stick in the chamber and it was really hard to open the bolt. I insected the brass and found what you hopefully see in the pics. It looks as though the bottom shoulder deformed while firing or was deformed prior to firing. The load was 42gr of H4350 under a 140gr VLD. The brass is new Winchester 7mm-08 necked down in a RCBS FL sizer die.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 113
It was only that one piece of brass? It wasn't all of them? If it was just the one piece then I would just chunk it. Is that the hottest load you have shot out of it with 4350? If you don't see any signs of pressure on your other brass then it was probably just a bad piece of brass. You need to carefully inspect your Tass prior to loading for any abnormalities though.

I thought I did insect it but apparently not close enough. It was the only one that did this and I had shot a few hotter without problems.

Haha..I hate posting with the IPhone! Tass haha oh well. Seems like your gun is doing well with your load. I would just chalk it up as a bad piece of brass. If you aren't having cratered primers and no stamp marks on the bottom of the brass then you should be good. Start stretching those loads out to further distances and see how she does. Keep us posted. I like to hear about others load progress.

Found 15 more in the new stuff, so it is a QC issue. I emailed Winchester to see what they will do.

almost looks like a headspace issue with the gun to me. Id try some rem or fed brass to make sure though.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.