Back-up Bear Gun

curtis

I read a previous post that sparked a question. What would an acceptable back-up bear defense gun be? Would a 12 guage with 3 1/2" Mag slugs work? What would be the ideal gun? Thanks for any input. I sure would love to hunt one of those big Kodiak Brown Bears one day.

Curtis

12 gauge would work. I would have someone else holding that though. I myself would have a 500 S&W or some other big revolver on my side.

Since "defense" would imply too close for comfort distances. I was something fast handling and a big pistol would do that for me.

Hunting those bears would have to be a team effort.

Back-up to what; a bow? If you want to stop a charging brown bear I'd want a whole lot more horsepower and penetration than the 12ga will offer. growl-snap-rip-tear-crunch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Maybe that's because I'm scared of big bad *** bears. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Varmint Hunter, those sabots can do some damage. There just not long range weapons.

Remember, when hunting any dangerous game, you don't have outrun the animal. You only have to outrun the guy with you.

I have a 10ga mag and occasionally shoot slugs through it. However, no slugs really impress me for a charging brown bear encounter.

The experienced BIG bear hunters/guides seem to prefer very powerful cartridges for this type of work. The 375H&H has been recommended by many.

If you were talking black bears then most whitetail cartridges would be adequate.

The 45-70 can be loaded to some very impressive energy levels when used in modern rifles. I believe that a few smaller ammo manufacturers make some intense loads for this cartridge using heavy hard cast bullets. Just a thought.

With a slug gun you may have to wait until the bear is right on you. This would leave your defense to a one shot propostion.

I am a runner, so it looks like my hunting partner will be the appetizer while I reload the rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I am a runner, so it looks like my hunting partner will be the appetizer while I reload the rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]
Better hope he doesn't shoot you in you the leg with his slug gun.LOL

Right now I'd have to use my 338/378 with the old 300gr Barnes round nose bullets and I think it's a bit light for 1,500 lb bears at close range. I've noticed CZ has come out with a new line of Safari Magnums which include the 450 Rigby and 505 Gibbs. I'm partial to the 505. The good thing about it is that I'd leave it with iron sites for close-up work. Although the gun is exspensive about $2,000. I won't need a scope and a couple hundred rounds would likely last a lifetime.

Hang on guys, I thought we were talking about back-up weapons aside from rifles.

My Primary would be either 458 lott or my 338 lapua depending on the terrain, distance, etc.

I would want one of the guys with me to have a 10 or 12ga pump. I would have a 500 S&W as a side arm.

Varmint Hunter, I believe he was talking about grizz. I live and hunt in black bear country and during bow season I've been on the ground and had them within 20 yards of me. I had one last year come out to my left and start walking right towards me. I just swayed a little to let him see and he turned and fled.

The thing with black bears, similar to grizz, is that you don't want to walk thru the thick stuff and startle them.

[ QUOTE ]
big Kodiak Brown Bears

[/ QUOTE ] is what he said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Any startled bear is a receipt for a deadly encounter. If you are'nt looking for an encounter just make enough noise as you travel and wear some of your wife's perfume for good measure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess shot placement would have to be taken into consideration. I don't think I could run, while shaking and crying, and hit a charging bear!! I guess the buddy system would be the best way. Man, that would be scary!!

Well being as you got time on your hands and probably need more bad advice, here is some of the things I looked at for camping alone in Grizzley territory. First of all I am a notoriously bad shot with a hand gun so the usual suspects of 44Mag, 50Ae and 50SW are not my first choices. I really would like the Deseart Eagle in all three calibers and then carry the 50AE. DE's do not have a sterling record with handloads and you need a full metal jacket. A double action pistol is quick (no slide to jack) and reliable. Once the bear is trying to get into the tent you got major problems in my mind.

Another favorite is the M4 in 25WSM or 6.8 loaded with FMJs in a banana clip and a flashlight attachment. When you get up to go out and pee in the middle of the night you need something substantial in your hand (no not that thing it may be big but the bear is not afraid of it). To do the M4 up right so it is legal and you got the neessary firepower you will have to pay about $500 for a submachine gun license and short barrel weapon license or something. I do not exactly know how much damage a clip of 25WSM FMJ will do to a bear but I assure you no bear will ever forget it when I get through with him even if I am reincarnated as a bear scat.

As you will notice, when it is my life at stake I want FMJs. Break bones and break bones and break bones.

Now then, What do I know about bears? Totally nothing.

I have file after file on different types of bear guns in my computer and it seems to me that the handgun is always on you and ready any time you need it. The most reasonable option is that when I retire to get a small handgun to practice with and a large one to carry into the back woods. As I said I really want a DE even though my hands are not very big.

If you can get an M4 to the range then try it and see what you think about it if it was in a heavier caliber. Could you hold it down? Remember you are going to be about 15 feet or less when you go to full rock and roll and if you are in your tent you dont want to be shooting yourself too much of the time.

Just a little lite humor on a Wednesday night.

Knappy,
Just so you know, I've seen a 10+ brownie taken with one shot with a 45 win mag. He was using 320 grain cast rounds and hit the ol' boy in the noggin. Personally, I am not that comfortable with a pistol. The 45 win mag is ballistically in between the 44 and the 454. All I can say is go for the nervous system and break bones. Hope this helps.
Brandon

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts