B.A.R.

Never shot one, so hopefully I'm allowed to ask this question - Do you have to clean the barrel from the muzzle?
Unless you have a flexible cleaning rod it would be difficult to clean from chamber to muzzle. BUT, you could insert the rod from muzzle without the brush/swab/etc then attach it to the rod and pull. Just a thought

The only complaint I had with the BAR was the dings on my expensive brass. Auto loaders just like to tear up brass in my experience. Cleaning is a bit of a PITA, but once again so is cleaning all my auto loaders.

^^^^^this
I finally saw what the lugs looked like, but not the chamber :( . Are the action lugs part of the receiver or more like barrel extensions? No barrel nut, so that seems more like a shouldered barrel on how it's headspaced?
Midwest Gun Works has barrels for sale. They have a picture of the barrel. I think the lugs engage the barrel.

Howdy,I have one in a 338 Win. Mag. I would say I may have 50 rounds shot through it. 24" barrel grade 1. Bought it in 2014 , still have the box. It's in brand new condition. I might be talked into selling it. Great shooter. I can't handle the recoil, and I don't want to thread the barrel. But someone else might. The B.A.R. rifles, I think are the best auto loaders ever made. 😎

Couple pic.

Attachments

• 20230111_170726.jpg
    20230111_170726.jpg
    725.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20230111_170630.jpg
    20230111_170630.jpg
    794.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230111_170825.jpg
    20230111_170825.jpg
    909.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230111_170835.jpg
    20230111_170835.jpg
    781.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230111_170907.jpg
    20230111_170907.jpg
    982.5 KB · Views: 49
Does anyone here have 1 or more? I've been thinking about 1 in 300wm and the possibility of rebarreling (possibly same cartridge, but maybe another)? Looking for options on where and how to? Any pics would be nice as Browning's site isn't much help in that department.
I have a BAR in 300 wm it is a good rifle I purchased it used, it is a MK 1 which is a steel receiver. For parts Midwest gun works, I have toyed with a rebarrel but the barrel is still in good shape.

The only complaint I had with the BAR was the dings on my expensive brass. Auto loaders just like to tear up brass in my experience. Cleaning is a bit of a PITA, but once again so is cleaning all my auto loaders.
I agree that is one of the reasons I don't shoot mine much anymore bought another bolt gun in 300 wm.

I have one form the 90s, Belgium made in 270wsm. Love the rifle. I've never had issue with it. Found it in a pawn shop for $400 10 years ago. Cleaned it one time since. When it comes to auto hunting rifles I think the BAR holds the crown. Waiting to see what they release in them from shot show as I'm thinking of a new one myself.
HEY Ajwatts88, Better check you numbers to build dates, Winchester didn't release the 270WSM till SHOT SHOW 2002
So not in a 1990's BAR.

T.P.

Have to add that I grew up hunting a lot with BAR's from a wide range of production years. My dad's got half a dozen in the safe that he, my brother, grandfather and myself all hunted whitetail with and between us took dozens of deer. Never saw one jam, never sent one to a gunsmith. Just shoot it and clean it. Maybe if you're sending 1000 rounds through it at the range over the weekend? Hard to imagine grabbing one of these rifles out of the safe for that, though. If it's all 'gummed up' like another poster said, that's not because of the way the rifle's built. It's whatever gummy stuff someone is using to lube it or clean it.
Exactly- I was not insinuating the gummy stuff was the result of a design flaw, just that it needs cleaned out.

I have one that was bought new in the '91 in 289 REM. I've killed a pile deer and critters with it at reasonably short range. But it's a 3-4" gun at best.