AZ Coues deer-6.5 Creedmore and Hammers

IF, the OP had been using either, a 147 ELD-M, a 135 Classic Hunter or, a 140 Elite Hunter, BERGER, this whole Post,.. WOULDN'T even,.. be here !
YUP,.. that Buck probably would BE,. DRT !
@ Hardrock,..
I STAND BY,.. THIS ^^^^ and,.. I HAVE, the Charts to prove, it.
44 grains of, Staball 65 launches, a 140 Grain, Elite Hunter, Bullet, approx, 2,806 FPS, 24" bbl. ( my, 3.200 ft. Elev ) and it's STILL going, 2,196 FPS, W/ 1,499 Ft. lbs of, Energy at, 475 Yards out of, a 6.5 Creed. That, AIN'T NO, piszz'ant, 85 grain, Mono, P_ S like, the OP used and the OP stated that, he wished that, he'd of used, a 129 or, a 140 Plus grain, Bullet and,.. I agree.
SORRY but, those are, the Facts, as I see them. Berger's, USUALLY, flat out, Kill chit and NO "Exit's" are, required.
Both, Berger Bullets and the Power or, "lack therof" of, the 6.5 Creedmoor, AKA, Needmoor, ARE,. controversial and NOT worth arguing, over !
JMHO vs, yours, Friend,.. Good night !

Last edited:
If the truth would be told I bet 99 percent of the members on this forum hasn't killed anything past 350 yds might make for a good discussion for what is long range and what isn't and how many hunters on this forum have killed a game animal at that distance or further if you had too show proof too be a member there probably wouldn't be many members
Shoot, my furthest big game kill was a Columbian Blacktail at 379, just made the cut!!🤣🤣.

To the OP great buck and good job sticking with it! I've been on some difficult track jobs trying to find sign on my hands and knees using nothing but a cell phone light. Would love to hunt coues one day.

@ Hardrock,..
I STAND BY,.. THIS ^^^^ and,.. I HAVE, the Charts to prove, it !
44 grains of, Staball 65 launches, a 140 Grain, Elite Hunter, Bullet, approx, 2,806 FPS, 24" bbl. and it's STILL going, 2,196 FPS, W/ 1,499 Ft. lbs of Energy at, 475 Yards out of, a 6.5 Creed. That, AIN'T NO, piszz'ant, 85 grain, Mono, P_ S like, the OP used and the OP stated that, he wished that, he'd of used, a 129 or, a 140 Plus grain, Bullet and,.. I agree.
SORRY but, those are, the Facts ! Berger's, USUALLY, flat out, Kill chit !
NO "Exit's" are, required.
Usually being the key word there

@ Hardrock,..
I STAND BY,.. THIS ^^^^ and,.. I HAVE, the Charts to prove, it.
44 grains of, Staball 65 launches, a 140 Grain, Elite Hunter, Bullet, approx, 2,806 FPS, 24" bbl. ( my, 3.200 ft. Elev ) and it's STILL going, 2,196 FPS, W/ 1,499 Ft. lbs of, Energy at, 475 Yards out of, a 6.5 Creed. That, AIN'T NO, piszz'ant, 85 grain, Mono, P_ S like, the OP used and the OP stated that, he wished that, he'd of used, a 129 or, a 140 Plus grain, Bullet and,.. I agree.
SORRY but, those are, the Facts, as I see them. Berger's, USUALLY, flat out, Kill chit and NO "Exit's" are, required.
Both, Berger Bullets and the Power or, "lack therof" of, the 6.5 Creedmoor, AKA, Needmoor, ARE,. controversial and NOT worth arguing, over !
JMHO vs, yours, Friend,.. Good night !
My friend been shooting the 6.5 cal cartridges all my life killed my first big buck the day Kennedy was assonated . I used a 6.5 X55 Swedish Mauser using a139 gr Norma and every other bullet in between and been loading probably longer tan you've been alive I've graduated too the 6.5 Prc in the 6.5 cal Shooting 123 gr too 131 gr Hammers from 3200 too 3450 fps the 85 gr hammer would not be my choice at that range but it still wasn't bullet failure no offense ever intended

Its been a fun topic. I head out for my 50th Coues hunt in S AZ tomorrow. I started with 165gr Sierras out of an 06, then 140 gr Sierras in a 7-08 a couple years and finally couple decades with a 270 and 140gr Sierra and Hornady SST bullets. Friday I will be hunting with the newly "hyped" and beloved/hated 6.5C. The 06 and 270's were plenty of gun for Coues and never failed to knock the heck out of any buck I hit from 50yds to 320yds. My load with the 140 NOS BT will be at 1950 fps at 500 yards, that should be fast enough for the 140gr BT to do its job. I don't plan on shooting 500 yards, maybe 460-480 at most. The Creed was easy to load for, has no recoil; those two features make accurate shots more likely and the barrel will last longer than a 264 WIN Mag or 6.5 PRC. Just not in a rush to have to work up a new barrel. Also shoot my 6.5C hunting rifle in Silhouette matches. Wish me luck this weekend.

Its been a fun topic. I head out for my 50th Coues hunt in S AZ tomorrow. I started with 165gr Sierras out of an 06, then 140 gr Sierras in a 7-08 a couple years and finally couple decades with a 270 and 140gr Sierra and Hornady SST bullets. Friday I will be hunting with the newly "hyped" and beloved/hated 6.5C. The 06 and 270's were plenty of gun for Coues and never failed to knock the heck out of any buck I hit from 50yds to 320yds. My load with the 140 NOS BT will be at 1950 fps at 500 yards, that should be fast enough for the 140gr BT to do its job. I don't plan on shooting 500 yards, maybe 460-480 at most. The Creed was easy to load for, has no recoil; those two features make accurate shots more likely and the barrel will last longer than a 264 WIN Mag or 6.5 PRC. Just not in a rush to have to work up a new barrel. Also shoot my 6.5C hunting rifle in Silhouette matches. Wish me luck this weekend.
Good luck when you have 3 6.5 X55 s 2 6.5 -284s and 2 -6.5 -prcs not counting all the other cals I don't worry about barrel life just mine have a good hunt been raining here all day been loading for my upcoming hunt this weekend too try my 25-284 out been a good day watching this forum

Its an interesting point. I have always defined long range the point where you need to start making elevation adjustments to hit your target, which varies for every rifle setup. I came to that definition after speaking at length with Aaron Davidson (Gunwerks) several years ago at an SCI conference. I think much less have most people ever shot at an animal beyond 350 yards, likely never shot at a range off a bench that far. East of Texas there are very few ranges that go beyond 200 yards. We are very fortunate in the Phoenix area as we have a public range that has a 300 yard paper range and a 500 meter steel range and in Tucson there are 500 meter and 1000 yard ranges that can be accessed. Plus lots of great spots in the various national forests to shoot as far as your gear will allow. In fact, its almost getting cool enough to go out and shoot some long range steel here. I need to plan a trip.
I belong to the club in Tucson you speak of and regularly shoot on the 500 meter range. Actually after setting zero and doing load development it's the only range I shoot on. I also have a few favorite areas I can be at within a hour from my house that I/we can shoot as FAR as we want. We usually target shoot rocks at extreme distance in actual hunting type situations and setups using our hunting gear. Practice, practice, practice…. I killed 2 particular nice Coues Bucks that are on the wall in my office. One with a 6.5 Creedmoor at 596 yards and one with a 6.5-284 at 576, both shooting the 140 Berger in the 2900-2950 area. My father at 76 years young killed a Coues at 691 yards with our 308, shooting a 168 AMAX. All were one shot DRT. Practice!

Last edited:
I belong to the club in Tucson you speak of and regularly shoot on the 500 meter range. Actually after setting zero and doing load development it's the only range I shoot on. I also have a few favorite areas I can be at within a hour from my house that I/we can shoot as FAR as we want. We usually target shoot rocks at extreme distance in actual hunting type situations and setups using our hunting gear. Practice, practice, practice…. I killed 2 particular nice Coues Bucks that are on the wall in my office. One with a 6.5 Creedmoor at 596 yards and one with a 6.5-284 at 576, both shooting the 140 Berger in the 2900-2950 area. My father at 76 years young killed a Coues at 691 yards with our 308, shooting a 168 AMAX. All were one shot DRT. Practice!
My father used to live in Tucson and was a member there. My whole family has shot there on various occasions. He still shoots there at times when he is visiting down there. They have opened a really nice all steel range at Ben Avery called the Frank DeSomma Memorial Range. Its 200, 300, 400 and 500 meters. I trained my wife to shoot there getting ready for the safari we just went on. Its great if you have rifle all sighted in. When we want shoot really far we go up off 169 just west of I-17. We'll likely go up some time later in the month to shoot steel. Unfortunately none of us were drawn for rifle Coues this year. First time since 1990. We'll be hitting the hills in December and Jan for archery. Maybe a big mulie with my name on it out there.

My father at 76 years young killed a Coues at 691 yards with our 308, shooting a 168 AMAX. All were one shot DRT. Practice!
Wow that's amazing! How was the expansion and terminal performance? I've been considering switching from 168-175 SMK's to 168-175 ELDM's due to the polymer tip and claimed expansion velocities. Awesome shot!

My father used to live in Tucson and was a member there. My whole family has shot there on various occasions. He still shoots there at times when he is visiting down there. They have opened a really nice all steel range at Ben Avery called the Frank DeSomma Memorial Range. Its 200, 300, 400 and 500 meters. I trained my wife to shoot there getting ready for the safari we just went on. Its great if you have rifle all sighted in. When we want shoot really far we go up off 169 just west of I-17. We'll likely go up some time later in the month to shoot steel. Unfortunately none of us were drawn for rifle Coues this year. First time since 1990. We'll be hitting the hills in December and Jan for archery. Maybe a big mulie with my name on it out there.

This was a tough year to get drawn here in AZ. It's our first year ever without a deer tag as well, if not drawn we have always been able to get a left over, not this year.

Archery will be the only option this year and did get drawn for Javi's in February.

Next year I plan on hitting the Arizona High Power Rifle Silhouette Championship up at Ben Avery, I'll take a look at that range you mentioned.

Wow that's amazing! How was the expansion and terminal performance? I've been considering switching from 168-175 SMK's to 168-175 ELDM's due to the polymer tip and claimed expansion velocities. Awesome shot!
It punched through both lungs with a ping pong size exit wound. Deer just hunched up and stood there for about 5 seconds and then rolled about 60 yards down the hill. The bullet was never recovered. Dad had practiced a bunch and If we didn't have a excellent rest we would've never taken the shot at that distance. He's 84 now and doesn't frequent my Coues hunts anymore. Anyways…..

It punched through both lungs with a ping pong size exit wound. Deer just hunched up and stood there for about 5 seconds and then rolled about 60 yards down the hill. The bullet was never recovered. Dad had practiced a bunch and If we didn't have a excellent rest we would've never taken the shot at that distance. He's 84 now and doesn't frequent my Coues hunts anymore. Anyways…..
Well I hope he gets out some time soon. Sounds like he picked the right tool for the right job! I practise all the time with my 308 win. I was just looking for actual use and practical advise. Thanks!