Awful barrel?

I have never been huge on ultra frequent cleaning, I always worry that my technique will do more harm than good. I have read several stories of cleaning going wrong and damaging barrels and accuracy irreparably. And of course the debate between aluminum or steel cleaning rods is unsettled. Right now I am using what I think is called a viper bore snake. It seems to clean well in a non hazardous way.
I used it to clean the barrel of the earlier pictured barrel.

wbm, what are you looking for help with?

I had a new Savage 7 mag several yrs ago that when I went to clean it the rod stopped part way down. I hit it hard and a bunch of rust came out the muzzle, I took it right back where I got it and exchanged it for another manufacturers rifle.
Just think if some newbe took it out and shot it without cleaning.
I have a Weatherby Accumark .257 Wby that does that, in several spots, but it's not rust....It's tight-spots in the barrel. I still need to send that thing off to Wby to get them to replace that barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.