Awful barrel?

DryShave

Here are a couple of photos of the inside of the barrel on my new and never fired Savage 30-06. It looks pretty rough to me. Is this normal? Should I do something to it before firing it for the first time?

513DDDCE-5462-4B62-9EFE-AADE178C6A6F.jpg
[/URL]

AB11B0AD-AA99-4D35-B699-85C9CA5BC4CA.jpg
[/URL]

Simple question time. Did you wipe it out before the picture?

If yes, it looks bad IMHO.

The barrell is exactly as it came from the factory and is completely untouched by me.
Wipe it out with one oiled patch followed by one dry patch then look again.

Test firing residue can look really nasty.

I had a new Savage 7 mag several yrs ago that when I went to clean it the rod stopped part way down. I hit it hard and a bunch of rust came out the muzzle, I took it right back where I got it and exchanged it for another manufacturers rifle.
Just think if some newbe took it out and shot it without cleaning.

Photo update.

I was worried that the crud in the barrel was metal filings leftover from the rifling process, but a quick cleaning proves it was simply powder residue. This is my first new rifle in a loooong time and I want to make sure all goes well and I don't make any foolish mistakes. I am really hoping this factory barrel will be an adequate shooter in my early steps toward a long range hunting system. I have also just purchased a basic reloading system and expect that this rifle will never see a factory load through it.
To every responder to this post...Your advice helped.
DryShave

A9893436-F236-4AC2-AF00-0A9500103BC6.jpg
[/URL]

C5F402CD-7919-48EF-8525-ABCC42E007AE.jpg
[/URL]

There ya go. Good on ya for the patience.

Break it in gently and it will provide a long service life. Though I'm not a Savage guy, I love the switch barrel idea.

I have had success with factory barrels using the JB buffing/lapping regime but there are many many regimes. I have also used Tubb's Final Finish.

I have a Weatherby MK.V in 30-06 that looked much worse! I ran a Kroil'd patch thru it, and a series of dry patches. Looked like a different barrel. I then ran a series ISSO patches thru it, and they were coming out black as coal. I finally made a phone call to see what I was pulling out of the barrel, and it turned out to be the nature of ISSO.

On the otherhand I used to have a 270 in a Remington 700. Nothing on this planet would get the copper fouling out. You could scrub that barrel for hours and hours. Sweets just made the copper shiny! But the rifle shot just fine for what it was (3/4"-1" groups) I put about 250 rounds thru it before I got rid of it (wish I'd kept it). Been a nice rifle to build a .338-06 out of. On the otherhand I had another 700 VS in .223 that was so rough it actually ripped up patches. Had tight spots and loose spots here and there. I cut the chamber end off and cut a new chamber (2.75" off the big end), and cut about three inches off the muzzle to remove a loose muzzle area. Bore is still rough and ugly, but will shoot in the low fours. I've seen some ugly barrels shoot bug holes, and seen several high dollar BR grade barrels that didn't shoot any better that a factory barrel.
gary

I clean ALL rifles before firing the first time. Every one I have purchased, whether it was Remington, Winchester, Marlin or Howa had a dirty barrel out of the box. The latest 700 I bought had a bunch of rust in the barrel as well. The only barrel I didn't have to clean was with my custom rifle I just purchased.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.