AVG Group Size

With a custom rifle I want the shots making one hole at 100 or I carry on developing the load. For non-custom I still want below .5MOA, if I can't get it, the rifle goes to the gunsmith for sorting. Photo shows what I expect at 100yds. with a custom 6.5-284. This gave me 10 bulls at 1000yds with 9 being inners. For hunting it depends on the range I am shooting, I want a one shot kill and the first shot has to be consistent.
Berger tgt BT 140.jpg

Shoot groups at 500. You might be surprised. A 0.1 MOA group doesn't mean squat at 100 if the ES is like 100. If it shoots 0.5 MOA and your ES over 10 shots is less than 30 it should hold together way out there. Also, something that shoots 0.25-0.5MOA is just fine. The utility of chasing anything less is trivial from a pragmatic standpoint, and just burns up your barrel, bullets, powder, and time.

Honestly I don't even shoot groups at 100 anymore other than just to zero an optic. I usually shoot loads over the Magneto speed, look for a pressure/velocity node(s), and then shoot them at 500. Tightest group wins. The bullet and targets never lie, and those loads are solid.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.