ATV What do you recomend and why

I don't know. I'd have to see a lot of this to believe it.. I like ya mike but I just don't think a Toyota pick is going to go the places a atv will.. I had a 92 Toyota pickup single cab with a 5. Speed it went lots of places but it never when even close to how far these bigger atv will go. Not saying I don't believe anyone. Just saying the people that you went around must have been pretty green to riding.

NO MINE IS BIGGER! not arguing just putting my personal experience out there... little off track from what the OP ask now anyway

ATVs come in many different sizes and shapes and to make a proper choice you need to consider many factors that influence a good knowledgeable selection. I think that ATVs are fun to use are economical to operate and easy to transport but not something that I choose to hunt with.

I like bigger rigs and a lot of tire, here is my wife's buggy, she built it and does most of the driving. It will take on water crossings that tumble ATVs and just keep going and can be built for less than many side by sides if you do your own work.

Gus
1240863095_2008_hunt_204.jpg

They are Kenda Executioners they have the toughest side wall you will ever find in an atv tire!! Boy they are digging SOB's!! I put a set on my RZR ill post pictures. Going up step hills that RZR out does four wheelers in the snow because of the wheel base. When I hit a rock under the snow it feels like a small bump when my brother in law was coming in my tracks he hit that Rock and he just about lost it wheeling over on him.

They are Kenda Executioners they have the toughest side wall you will ever find in an atv tire!! Boy they are digging SOB's!! I put a set on my RZR ill post pictures. Going up step hills that RZR out does four wheelers in the snow because of the wheel base. When I hit a rock under the snow it feels like a small bump when my brother in law was coming in my tracks he hit that Rock and he just about lost it wheeling over on him.

I ran Kenda Radials on my sport quad, great tires. The Executioner looks so close to the Swamp Fox tires I run on my King Quad that I thought they were the same tire.

Right now i'm running ITP Mega Mayhems on my Ranger 900. For off road they rock but they are a little rough at low speed on the highway..... you could shake a Martini without even touching the cup! :D

t

Hahaha!! I love it. I know what ya mean though I've been running kenda executioners sense my Yamaha. And they do not like pavement.. Cruising about 60 mph on that Yamaha for a 4-5 mile stretch on the highway. Boy when I stopped there were huge chunks miss out of the lugs...

I ran Kenda Radials on my sport quad, great tires. The Executioner looks so close to the Swamp Fox tires I run on my King Quad that I thought they were the same tire.

Right now i'm running ITP Mega Mayhems on my Ranger 900. For off road they rock but they are a little rough at low speed on the highway..... you could shake a Martini without even touching the cup! :D

t

I use Roy, a 15 year old Sorrel Paint. He is able to go anywhere an ATV can go, and many places where they can't. In comparison he seems a bit slow, but we will be covering a 65 mile loop in the Rawah Wilderness in about a week and a half this July, most of it above 9,000'. Bags are packed, more than I would want to carry at altitude or sea level. Four riders, and two extra pack horses means that we will be eating well the entire time.
Close friends bring their horses out to Rainey Lake in Colorado for elk every year. They ride in about 15 miles the first day, set up base camp for the week, and wait on the hunters to push the animals their way. Their success rate is pretty good, last year four out of five tags filled. The year before was a clean sweep.
Logs are not an issue, we hop over them, or detour. Grades up to 50% are not a problem. We can take a fully loaded horse with two quarters of an elk out plus rider and gear.
The gear list is a bit different than using a motor vehicle, but there are places to hunt where the ATV is prohibited, and this is where a horse really shines.

I picked up my first ATV a few months ago. Before I started looking I spent many hours researching the opinions of owners. I found the Polaris 500 to be a good all around ATV. Plenty of power and does not over heat like some of the larger units. I found this 2006 500 with a 3200 lb winch (more than what is needed). The nice part is that it has a 6 foot cable remote control for the winch which I can operate while standing away from the ATV. It also came with a Swisher plow that angles either side. This should prove to be helpful for clearing my drive in the winter. I can say I pushed dirt without any issue. The unit has approximately 900 hours on it and also has front rack and rear basket. It is an automatic which my kids love. Easy to ride. I agree with another review that without power steering you get to "feel" the trail. Cannot wait to throw my first buck on the back and drive it out of the woods! Is it fast? Yes. It also has the option of 2 wheel high or 4 wheel low. I pull a 6x10 landscape trailer around the fields loaded with wood and brush without any difficulty! Plenty of power. Picked it up for 4300. Looking at what I needed and the cost of a new ATV (2-3x the price).... I am very pleased. Only issue was the choke which works off a vacuum. Took it out and cleaned it. Runs and throttles like a new ATV! gun)

Attachments

• 1302307_01_2006_polaris_sportsman_500ho_4_640.jpg
    1302307_01_2006_polaris_sportsman_500ho_4_640.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 12
I've owned two, Honda Foremans. The second has ES. Like some have stated, putting into reverse is a pain. That is the only negative I can give them. I use them every day. Long line trapped a few years on both machines. They are virtually indestructable. The only repairs I put into either has been starter brushes in the one I still have. It has been started a million times, so certainly to be expected. I don't have any experience with Polaris in the last decade, but those before that certainly had some issues. I knew of guys that ran traplines on them and every year there was downtime in the shop. A trapline machine has to run everyday without fail. That is what my two Hondas have done. I would much prefer to buy American Company products, as I do with cars, but I have to take my hat off to Honda for reliability. One other thing, I have an extremely steep hill on my property. It is covered in sandstone, making it even more challenging. The low center of gravity on the Honda allows for it to climb right up the hill. I have had Polaris owners come in here and tip their machine over trying it. Bottom line is it really comes down to your intended useage. As a pure trail ride, fun machine, the Foreman falls short. If you want an ultra dependable workhorse, pretty hard to beat the Foreman.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.