Athlon?

While I completely agree with staying away from China everywhere I can, unless you are a hermit or amish, you cannot live without having something from there. They do buy alot of our crops we grow here on the farm. Athlon is a US company and at least the money I give to buy thier products goes to them and they pay taxes here. Don't get me wrong and please don't take this the wrong way but most people that scream about China stills goes to walmart where 75% or more of the boats from China goes to walmart. Just saying.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe that to be correct. Most of your big name scopes are actually made in Japan. LOW, Kenco etc being the actual manufacturers.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some but the top tier Chinese brands off the top of my head are Vortex (PST II Philippines & Razor Japan) & Athlon (up to Cronus). With the Razor & Cronus both being made in Japan. With these two models, one will also see a significant increase in price. Whether or not that price increase is acceptable to the individual shooter, is completely up to the individual. I won't degrade someone for using a Chinese scope, I just chose not to support those companies any longer.

At the end of the day, if I get to spend time on the range with a good friend; we both win. Chinese scopes or not.

To the OP: Every review I've seen on the Athlon line of scopes has been quite good. I know a few PRS shooters that rave about the glass on the Cronus (Japanese ED). As long as it fits your needs & does what it should, rock that stuff all day long.

t
No you are correct. That is what I should have said. I knew all the higher end came from Japan or Germany for the most part. I am far from an expert in any of this.
I agree about the china junk and not supporting them anymore than I have to.

I appreciate the frank discussion. 👍🏼

And I feel some shooters here have analized the absence of the Athlon name in certain forums quite well.

🤦🏻‍♂️ The brand name and fan boy thing goes across the spectrum of products, hobbies, and even restaurants. We humans are a funny breed. The ones that understand us best either have a PhD in psychology, work in marketing, or say "Woof!" when they greet us. 😊

Matthias

So I am just curious, why do more people Not use these scopes, is it the weigh? The glass? They seem to track well and RTZ , why are they not more popular?
I had been looking at Tract Toric here in the last few days, I have two Vortex a Strike Eagle 5-25x56 and a Viper PST Gen I 6-24x50. I wanted to look at some other glass so the Tract Optic higher end was appealing to me, since they are Japanese glass and they do not break the bank. I compared them to the Athlon Aries ETR and Athlon Cronus and the Cronus is the only Japanese made scope they carry. The price points for the Aries ETR and Toric UHD 4-20x50mm are close to price and the Toric UHD 4.5-30x56 is around same price as the Cronus 4.5-29x56. So, next is weight on the two top of the line, Cronus is 35.8oz and Toric is 41.5oz, MOA vertical adjustment Cronus is 110 MOA and Toric 100, both are Japanese made, one is few ounces lighter and 10 MOA more adjustment. The Toric price is $1694.00 and the Cronus is $1699.99 at Midway. So, now comes down to which one is going to float your boat, nothing but five star reviews on both, both lifetime warranty. The Toric comes with a 3in Sunshade where the Cronus comes with nothing.

I know very little about Athlon scopes . I'm not sure where these fall in the line up . here's two of the Athlon scopes guys have that I shoot with . they seem to hold up .

this cronus is on a 338 Lapua .

P7180165.JPG

this ares is on a 300 PRC . we had a wet dog rubbing through the rifles this day

P7180160.JPG

I know very little about Athlon scopes . I'm not sure where these fall in the line up . here's two of the Athlon scopes guys have that I shoot with . they seem to hold up .

this cronus is on a 338 Lapua .

View attachment 341575

this ares is on a 300 PRC . we had a wet dog rubbing through the rifles this day

View attachment 341576
On those two scopes, can you tell a difference in the glass? Which one do you favor the most?

I asked this question because I bought two Aries BTR 4 1/2–27 GEN twos, I have had zero issues, they tracked beautifully, always return to zero, my big gripe if you can call it that, Is that it weighs too much , But it seems like all scopes with those many features are all about the same weight, heavy. With that being said I just never seem to see them recommended like other scopes, I got both of mine from Camera land, Neal treated me Like I had been buying there for years, just can't imagine anyone not liking them, and this from a guy who has at least 15 Leopold scopes
Well that's your problem your happy with leopold. A toilet paper tube would impress you. Lol
I kid I kid.

So I am just curious, why do more people Not use these scopes, is it the weigh? The glass? They seem to track well and RTZ , why are they not more popular?
Simple lack of brand recognition and familiarity combined with some folks' lack of willingness to try something new.

The folks that use Athlon seem to love them. Especially the higher models (Cronus?), which I believe are made in the Japanese LOW plant along with Nightforce, Razor line of Vortex, etc.

Last edited:
I use one...like it as much as my Burris XTR 11 , like it as much as my PST Gen 11, LOVE THE PRICE! I'm glad more people don't use them.. oh....my Athlon is on my 50 bmg....thought it was a good place to test its workmanship and it passed!

Ares and Cronus are both very nice scopes. I am on the "no China" bandwagon at the moment. I don't really want Chinese anything involving my firearms. Im married, so sadly my wife doesn't care and buys whatever for our house. I would pick the Cronus. They have deals every now and again where you can get one for $1100 or so.

Recent Posts