As of Feb 11th it's legal to use silencers hunting in Michigan!

engineer40

As of Feb 11th it's legal to use silencers hunting in Michigan! Thought I would pass along the interesting news!

MICHIGAN: SUPPRESSOR HUNTING NOW LEGAL

Personally I am more excited about using a silencer/suppressor for small game and varmint hunting than for deer. Now I have another reason to get a threaded barrel for my 10/22. :)

More gun rights are always a good thing!

Cool! I was born not so far east of you (Elma MI) and lived a little closer (Carson City), so that brings me to a question. Is Hwy 57 still the north border for the shotgun only for deer area? If so I wonder if anyone has ever fooled around with trying to put a silencer on a slug barrel...

Cool! I was born not so far east of you (Elma MI) and lived a little closer (Carson City), so that brings me to a question. Is Hwy 57 still the north border for the shotgun only for deer area? If so I wonder if anyone has ever fooled around with trying to put a silencer on a slug barrel...

I'm not sure if it's Hwy 57 all the way across the state, but you are in the general area. It's definitely not a straight line East/West.

It's not "Shotgun only" area anymore! They now also allow straight walled cartridges up to 1.8 inches in length. So you can use 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 450 Bushmaster, 460 S&W Mag, etc now also. In rifles or handguns.

Yeah I remember Hickok45 did a video on 12 gauge silencers. I might have to revisit that video.

Nov 2015 time frame. I am told the average is ~6 months but depends on who at BAFTE processes the paper work. A lady apparently, averages ~ 4 months.

A buddy of mine just had 4 come in, he sent them all in the same week and it took about 4 months.

Around that area it is still the border for shotgun/rifle or what is now the limited firearm zone. But that zone only applies to firearm deer season. Meaning any other hunting such as varmint etc.. can be done with centerfire rifle anywhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.