Are you shooting as much with the ammo shortage ?

It will get better once consumers take a stand and REFUSE to allow them to gouge us. It's already happening. By conserving our stores of ammunition we are depressing demand and sending a very clear signal to producers this sort of price gouging and abuse will not stand!

Right, this is in our control. Manufacturers are cranking it out as fast as they can. People are bidding it up on auctions that start at 1 cent or some low price.
If the public stops doing that, which they will after buying a bunch at 3x - 5x normal pricing and they realize they can't afford to actually shoot it and replace it, the shelves will start to fill up again. Sure, there will be a secondary dip in availability once people see the lower prices again, and the start of a new rise, but the rise won't be sustained because so many will have caught up and stocked up at low and high prices. (If a person just spent $900 on 1K of 9mm, they probably won't go out and buy another $900 on 3K because they'll realize it will be widely available again nad they can't really afford another $900...

After all wives ARE paying attention too.

what a crappy time for load development. I have 3 lbs of IMR 4831, 2 of 4350 a lb of RL22 and little less H4831 and 450--so i'm probably in better shape than a lot of people, but having issues getting a consistent load out of my 340 weatherby --and ive gone through a lot of powder and primers already. . Im pretty sure ive taken out the human variables, but im still having accuracy problems with Swift A-Frames in 225g. anyone have any good info on this? Ive heard quite a bit about head space on weatherby mark V's from "the crowd"--anybody have good info?--seems like with all the freebore, a bullet cant be seated too far out, but i see little deviation between bullets seated at "0" (3.7) and bullets seated at .010, .020 and as far a .035 (getting close to limit of magazine box dimension). HELP
I hate to say it, but those big bores really are not very efficient usage of powder, especially the way things are right now. I have a 6.5x300 Weatherby and I don't want to burn up my stash trying to get it to shoot at close to 90 grains a pop, ouch.
You may need to change to a slower powder to get the 340 tuned in.

I've stopped shooting my 338 Allen Xpress @ 106grs of powder and no RL33 to be had so I'm going to hold on to the 2 lbs I do have.

you mean we can shoot our guns? Me and buddy use to have black powder therapy sessions. Not any more. Zero the gun,cpl test shots at longer range and wait for meat to be in front of you before you shoot is more less std now. We have talked about cannon idea since black powder is about only thing on shelf now days.Heck I have even been picking muzzle loading supplies to stick back.May not be a ar 15 but one round of 50 cal will still stop about anybody. Now my muzzle loading dbl barrel is freaking blast to play with and other hunters love it when I get a shot in dove fields.

Just a thought, if going to estate sales would be a place to go. In my aera there is an auction house that has autions once a week. I was told that reloading equipment and supplies went very reasonable, just a thought.

Just a thought, if going to estate sales would be a place to go. In my aera there is an auction house that has autions once a week. I was told that reloading equipment and supplies went very reasonable, just a thought.
I've gotten quite a bit of old reloading stuff lately from knowing folks who's relatives have passed and they were preparing for sales because they didn't want the stuff.
In one I got a bunch of once-fired cases and some shotgun hulls I could use.

In another I got one guy's whole RCBS setup: an old Reloader Special press, case trimmer, scale, powder thrower, mixed cases - mostly .38/.357/.30-30, .25-06, mixed amounts of bullets, 6 sleeves of various primers, 6-8 pounds of various powders, old manuals, case blocks, etc.; all for nothing! I offered cash but they declined so I helped clean out the house with them afterwards.

He passed 30 years ago I was told, some stuff was a little rusted up from being in the basement but most should clean up, except maybe the case trimmer, it's seized up.

I'm gonna seat a couple primers and make sure they go off before I load any up and if so I'll be shooting a little of this stuff since it's old and didn't cost me anything. I told the guy's daughter I'd load her some .38s to shoot in exchange for the supplies since nobody can find any around my area.

I was talking to a Big Box Gun store section Mgr last week. His company did some kind of customer survey last week. The survey said that average shooter that goes to the gun range or shoots once a month has PLANS to buy 2000- 5000 Rounds of ammo when it's available at today's prices To last them them a few years !
The Manager shared this survey info with a ammo mfg Rep and they said they are already know that. Ammo sales Mgr told them it will take at least 5 -8 years of non stop production to supply 80% of the USA shooters These kind quantities to each gun owner. He said that does not even count all other countries that shoot guns for recreation. Ammo rep also said that his company will not be expanding More than 10% in machines and people in the next 4 years. That would be the very max of a increase He said. MD

I was talking to a Big Box Gun store section Mgr last week. His company did some kind of customer survey last week. The survey said that average shooter that goes to the gun range or shoots once a month has PLANS to buy 2000- 5000 Rounds of ammo when it's available at today's prices To last them them a few years !
The Manager shared this survey info with a ammo mfg Rep and they said they are already know that. Ammo sales Mgr told them it will take at least 5 -8 years of non stop production to supply 80% of the USA shooters These kind quantities to each gun owner. He said that does not even count all other countries that shoot guns for recreation. Ammo rep also said that his company will not be expanding More than 10% in machines and people in the next 4 years. That would be the very max of a increase He

Heck, I heard that Winchester has a virus problem and running when and what they can.

Yeah sure, the Average Joe !plans! to stockpile. But then when it's available they'll put it off because there's no need because it's right there on the shelf. They don't need to drop $2,000 on ammo because the shortage is over! And then Average Joe doesn't stockpile, and then he tries to panic buy the next time there's a run because the 500 rounds he's had for 5 years isn't enough. Heck yeah he'd buy 5000 9mm right now if there was any! Never mind he never actually shot any of the ammo he already has because that's his stockpile, not for regular shooting. He'll buy some to shoot if he ever actually goes shooting. Because it's right there on the shelf...

Same people buy all the 10# bags of rice at Wal Mart when a storm is about to hit, not thinking that they have no idea what to do with a 10# bag of rice. It's what's left! Buy it! We need it! Then they throw it away a year later unopened when they find it at the back of the pantry. Because successful habits aren't built under pressure. You'll revert to your true habits as soon as the pressure is gone. If you don't eat rice before, you won't suddenly start just because the grocery store was stripped bare one day and restocked two days later. If you weren't already shooting 100 rounds a month, you won't start just because you scored 500 rounds during an ammo shortage. If you were a shooter before, you didn't have a stockpile, you had a rotating inventory that you rebuilt as you shot.

Yeah sure, the Average Joe !plans! to stockpile. But then when it's available they'll put it off because there's no need because it's right there on the shelf. They don't need to drop $2,000 on ammo because the shortage is over! And then Average Joe doesn't stockpile, and then he tries to panic buy the next time there's a run because the 500 rounds he's had for 5 years isn't enough. Heck yeah he'd buy 5000 9mm right now if there was any! Never mind he never actually shot any of the ammo he already has because that's his stockpile, not for regular shooting. He'll buy some to shoot if he ever actually goes shooting. Because it's right there on the shelf...

Same people buy all the 10# bags of rice at Wal Mart when a storm is about to hit, not thinking that they have no idea what to do with a 10# bag of rice. It's what's left! Buy it! We need it! Then they throw it away a year later unopened when they find it at the back of the pantry. Because successful habits aren't built under pressure. You'll revert to your true habits as soon as the pressure is gone. If you don't eat rice before, you won't suddenly start just because the grocery store was stripped bare one day and restocked two days later. If you weren't already shooting 100 rounds a month, you won't start just because you scored 500 rounds during an ammo shortage. If you were a shooter before, you didn't have a stockpile, you had a rotating inventory that you rebuilt as you shot.
Great post, and so true.

I tried to get everything I could but missed alot of bullets I should have gotten .I stocked up on .416 bullets long ago but hardly shoot it any more .I some how missed .308 bullets because I had quit shoot ing it as much .I got alot of bullet molds too so I did get .308 ones .I ended up with tons of .375 bullets and sold my only .375 here .I tried to end up with just .338 and .416 for Alaska then moved back to Georgia .It really sucks to teach kids to shoot I am having to use my muzzleloaders for that now .They love shooting them and it takes longer between shots .

It really sucks to teach kids to shoot I am having to use my muzzleloaders for that now .They love shooting them and it takes longer between shots .
I hear ya but keep teaching the kids, it's important and your to be commended.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.