Are there any functional variable tactical scopes for less than $200

baranx4

I've seen many posts shooting down low priced scopes so I was curious if anyone has purchased any that were functional for someone starting out long distance shooting. I was interested in putting it on either my 22-250 or my 25-06. I'm planning on getting a good vortex next year but want something now that can help me get used to distance shooting.

I'm thinking of trying one from the sportsmans guide since they have a very liberal return policy if there are issues. I want a vortex viper hs but would like something to practice with first.

My 22-250 remington has a 4-12 x 40 scope that it came with and my 25-06 has a 3-9 leup vII. The problem is neither has raised turrets and it's an issue to adjust for distance.

Do yourself a favor...Go to Cameraland's website ( A vendor on this and many other sites )...keep watching under the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x by 44mm section. They have one of these scopes discounted to $279.99. They're sold out until April...but this scope...for the money is a killer deal. I put one of these on an AR-15...great scope..not sure there's much else that will compete with it for that money. Here's a link: Vortex - Camera Land NY

That way you'll truly have a $500 scope for a few bucks more than your $200 budget.....worth the extra $79.99. Then you can take your time and save up for that "Expensive" scope but still have a great reliable scope to fall back on or a spare.

Wayne

P.S.

I'd be very cautious about the Sportsman's Guide optics...a lot of them really aren't worth messing with. And it would be a real PITA to keep sending scopes back and forth. They are a clearing house for a reason.

Do yourself a favor...Go to Cameraland's website ( A vendor on this and many other sites )...keep watching under the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x by 44mm section. They have one of these scopes discounted to $279.99. They're sold out until April...but this scope...for the money is a killer deal. I put one of these on an AR-15...great scope..not sure there's much else that will compete with it for that money. Here's a link: Vortex - Camera Land NY

That way you'll truly have a $500 scope for a few bucks more than your $200 budget.....worth the extra $79.99. Then you can take your time and save up for that "Expensive" scope but still have a great reliable scope to fall back on or a spare.

Wayne

P.S.

I'd be very cautious about the Sportsman's Guide optics...a lot of them really aren't worth messing with. And it would be a real PITA to keep sending scopes back and forth. They are a clearing house for a reason.

I'll have to keep an eye on that scope. Why is the v-plex so much cheaper than the mil-dot and ballistic drop?

I think the Wide V -Plex is a very usable reticle. I'm thinking a lot of guys want the mil-dot...if nothing more than to follow the latest trend. It seems all you read is mil-dot reticle and FFP scopes. They're great if you know how to use them...but I think a lot of guys get them and don't use them to their full potential. This is all IMHO of course. But for the average guy...a laser range finder is quicker and easier when ranging.

As I stated earlier....I own this exact scope...but with a 50mm front objective. For $279.99...it's one of the best bargain's I've ever found in rifle scopes. If you can wait until April...I'd highly recommend it.

Good Luck,

Wayne

The Bushnell Elite 10x40 mildot is a great value at about $200. It has finger adjustable turret knobs and is a good scope to learn mildot ranging and holdoffs. 10X is a decent match to the range of a 22-250.

+1 on the 10x bushnell. was at the range once and a guy had one. put it through a tracking/repeating test and it did very well. i can't say the same for the 6-20 viper. i've had 2 and neither would track/repeat well at all. plus the poi moved about 10% more than it was supposed to. they let me trade the second one on a 4-16 viper HS. this scope is great, i love it, tracks/repeats great, side parallax works very good. a great scope for the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.