ar15 in 243wssm or ar10 in 243?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Ring, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Ring

Ring Well-Known Member

looking for a 800y+ varmiter...
    both are the same price, 1k

the ar10 is 1in10, the ar15 i can get in 1-8 or 1-9

ar10 mags would be cheaper and easy to find, the wssm would be custom and 35$ each.

2. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

Seems like an either/or type of choice. So it would depend on what you want. Here are my initial thoughts.

AR10 in 243win - with a 10 twist barrel the heaviest bullet you can shoot is about 90 grains. That's a larger enough bullet to kill deer if you decide to go dual purpose. Also, the 243win is not a barrel burner.

AR15 in 243wssm - with an 8 or 9 twist, you can shoot the 105grain bullets. The wssm though is a bit of a barrel burner.

If it was mine, I would choose the AR10.

3. distantfoe

distantfoe Well-Known Member

I had the same problem. I went with the 243 wssm in the ar15 frame for the significant price and weight difference. (Went with a dtech upper with select shillen barrel for ~$900 and a rock river complete lower ~$300. The rifle's primary use will be coyotes, so the weight was definately a priority. One thing about the wssm is the magazine will limit you c.o.l. with longer bullets.

Not sure why everyone thinks the wssm will be any more of a barrel burner than the winchester. Shoots virtually the same amount of powder.

4. Orddy

Orddy Active Member

Those that believe it is.......never have owned on and like too talk smack......