Ar vs bolt 243

Hey guys I'm looking to build a 243. I'm debating between an AR platform or a bolt action. It will be used mainly for coyotes, possibly other small game, and plinking. I've never built a rifle before. So this is new to me. Any help would be appreciated.

Sure is a personal choice…… I say build both!! Best I can off is if you are after extreme accuracy over everything else then a quality bolt gun is easier to get there, if your after fun (and expensive range trips) then an ar would be a great choice.

If you want a good yote gun that's also capable of deer/hogs look into the 6.5 Grendel in the AR-15 platform. I own both, one of my varmint rifles is a 26" Weatherby Super Varmint Master, I love it but wanted something faster for follow up shots so I built the Grendel and it's AWESOME. If you were to build a .243 Win you'd have to move into the AR-10 platform... Give the Grendel a look, it's a cartridge that punches WAY above its weight class...

I have pondered this too, and I am going to do both because I can't come up with a compelling reason other than total cost to do one over the other. The builds I want to do the costs will be pretty similar as well so it's more or less double the budget of either. My goal is to have a nicely accurate AR based rifle to run suppressed for hogs, coyotes and maybe a deer. If I get multiple hogs in the open I want to be able to maximize the number of hogs removed from the ecosystem LOL. Then the bolt gun I want to also run suppressed but looking for very fine accuracy, this is more for fun shooting and punching paper, being able to shoot more than I can with the big 7's and 30's and learning long range shooting. With a 6.5 manbun and a 308 I think a 243 will complement them well and keep heat managed on all three.

I have pondered this too, and I am going to do both because I can't come up with a compelling reason other than total cost to do one over the other. The builds I want to do the costs will be pretty similar as well so it's more or less double the budget of either. My goal is to have a nicely accurate AR based rifle to run suppressed for hogs, coyotes and maybe a deer. If I get multiple hogs in the open I want to be able to maximize the number of hogs removed from the ecosystem LOL. Then the bolt gun I want to also run suppressed but looking for very fine accuracy, this is more for fun shooting and punching paper, being able to shoot more than I can with the big 7's and 30's and learning long range shooting. With a 6.5 manbun and a 308 I think a 243 will complement them well and keep heat managed on all three.
Brother, one doesn't need justification for a second rifle, it's written into the constitution! At least that's what I tell my wife :oops:

My Weatherby in .243

IMG_0166.JPG

My Grendel, she is a shooter too:

DSC00075 (2).JPG

My 2 favorite varmint guns are ar-15's in 6.5 Grendel, and 6mm ARC. The ARC is a bit flatter shooting and a little less recoil, but both get the job done.
Yup we Have an ARC as well, my oldest son built one last year it's awesome. I prefer the Grendel, specially for wolves, either one is a bad *** little cartridge!