AR short mags

ARlife4me

For those who have rsaum, wsm or similar cartridges what mags do you use? Is it better to use a 20 round with limiter or just load less and not use the limiter? With the 6.5prc it loses 20% capacity on 308 mags. Not a big deal on that! I tried loading a 25 round pmag as much as possible, but after 12 rounds it would not position correctly. Probably not a correct curve or a best follower for yhe cartridge? Insite and/or imput would/could be appreciated!

Magazine feeding geometry. Too few understand it, thinking you can just jam the cartridges in and it magically works.

I use cartridge specific magazines for bolt rifles which do not fail but I don't look for larger capacity either. I simply carry more magazines...

1688818235114.png

I use 10 shot mags on my 3 kinds of ar's up through 308. long mags get in the way for bench shooting, way too heavy, and if you can't do it in one shot :( I'm not a spray and pray person! Magpul if they make them for your cal.

I use 10 shot mags on my 3 kinds of ar's up through 308. long mags get in the way for bench shooting, way too heavy, and if you can't do it in one shot :( I'm not a spray and pray person! Magpul if they make them for your cal.
When you're trying to shoot as many pigs as possible before they get away.... you all the rounds you can get in a mag...... so 1 shot unfortunately can't get alk of them.

Magazine feeding geometry. Too few understand it, thinking you can just jam the cartridges in and it magically works.

I use cartridge specific magazines for bolt rifles which do not fail but I don't look for larger capacity either. I simply carry more magazines...

View attachment 476118
Unfortunately, not for AR's, but I do think single feed is better for magnum rounds in an AR. It's not that double feed (m4 style) doesn't work.

When you're trying to shoot as many pigs as possible before they get away.... you all the rounds you can get in a mag...... so 1 shot unfortunately can't get alk of them.
I'm an avid Texas pig hunter with 308 ar10. 125 gr TNT. I was trying to think if I have ever shot a full 10 round mag. all at once. I have a clip or two of 20 shot, but I leave them in the safe. We generally do stands on feeders night and day hunts. They seem to scatter pretty fast.

We are big on bragging rights about who can get the most pigs with one shot, Those days are when everyone brings out the big guns. pigs at a trough feeder so they are lined up.

I'm an avid Texas pig hunter with 308 ar10. 125 gr TNT. I was trying to think if I have ever shot a full 10 round mag. all at once. I have a clip or two of 20 shot, but I leave them in the safe. We generally do stands on feeders night and day hunts. They seem to scatter pretty fast.

We are big on bragging rights about who can get the most pigs with one shot, Those days are when everyone brings out the big guns. pigs at a trough feeder so they are lined up.
I don't feed or trap any pigs and those sorry suckers would have too run a half mile or more just to get away, so it's never more that just 1 shot. I have plenty of 6.5creeds and 308wins in the AR variety, but was trying to find out with mag work best for short mags (ie, saum, wsm, 6.5prc).

We are in fields and thickets. So they don't have to run far to disappear.

Always try for twins on the opening shot :)