AR question

RyanG

Not sure this is the right place to ask this question or not... but here goes. My son has a Bushmaster AR it has a 24 inch barrel with a 1/9 twist with a free floated barrel. I am having trouble getting heaver bullets to group well. Using the 69 grain Sierra Matchkings it is shooting almost a 5 inch group at 100 yards, this is using Varget. It shoots about the same group using the 55 grain Noslers, and again with Varget. It will shoot a much tighter group using Benchmark and the 55ers. I still think that it should shoot much better. Under an inch at a 100 easily.

I have the same rifle except my rifle has a 1/8 twist and a 20 inch barrel. My rifle shoots 1/4 inch at a 100 using just about any load with Varget and it doesnt shoot the Benchmark very well.

My question is: Is Varget too slow burning for that longer barrel? And any suggestions on a faster burning powder to improve on the group size?

I have a bushmaster varminter 24 in barrel with a 1/9 twist and I shoot the 69 smk with tac powder. My gun really likes this combination.

Sounds like something is not right, 5" is way too big a group. I have a 1:9 twist Bushnell with a 20 inch HB. It shoots just about everything into an inch or so including my handload of 25 gr of Varget with a 69gr SMK. I also this load in my 24" Varmint AR, DPMS. It shoots .25" at 100. I don't think barrel length should make a difference using Varget.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.